Canning Season

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I think it is, Laurie. But I don't think I have ever tasted a jam that I didn't like. I just like some better than others. Cherries are something that I never had as a kid. And those hold a special place in my mind because of that. To be able to have a tree in my little orchard and go out and just pick a few and munch on them is just a special blessing.

I did another jam session today after I came home from church. I did 9 pints of Marionberry jam and 24 jars (12 ounce) of Obsidian Blackberry jam. I would like to get onme more picking of Marionberries at least, but I think I will pick blueberries tomorrow.

Kya, my grandkids are so spoiled when it comes to jam. About the only time they will eat anything but Marionberry is when we run out and that rarely happens. I have a small jar of cherry jam open in the refrigerator and I think Alec grabbed that one by mistake one day. He didn't comment though. It's only an 8 ounce jar, but it has been there at least three weeks now. I have one piece of toast a week here at home and that is on Friday mornings. On that day, I fix steak and eggs for my daughter and I. The steak is only about 2-1/2 ounces and is usually left over from a dinner. I fix each of us one egg and bake some Tater-Tots. The one piece of toast completes the meal. LOL I do put jam on the toast on Fridays.

I picked about 6 gallons of beans on Monday and a couple of gallons of beans on Saturday. So yesterday I started processing beans after I got home from the nursing home. Even though the processing time is 25 minutes at pressure/temperature, there is a process to getting up to that point that takes at least that much time and the cooldown cycle likewise takes awhile. At least on the cooldown cycle though, you don't have to sit there and stare at a gauge. I have 39 quarts of beans though and I will probably do 14 more just to be sure there are plenty for the coming year. The rest of the beans I will give away.

You are so right Randy the 25 minutes to process is just the middle of the cooking with a pressure cooker

I can't wait until I can grow enough beans so I can do some canning. My grammie always canned a 100 quarts a yr. I love string beans. Mine are just starting to bloom.

Don't use that water bath canner for beans, Laurie. You will need a pressure canner. I think I saw a 21 quart canner on sale for $60 awhile back. That's a good price. 21 quart does not mean it will hold 21 quart jars. That is the internal volume of the canner. I considered freezing some this year, but decided to stick with canning. We never have any freezer space.

I dont like frozen string beans. Thanks for the info Randy on the canners. I have never used one. Asked my aunt to can them for me onetime my parents were gone and i got the jars all filled and she did her thing with the pressure cooker. Scared it will blow up on me as I've heard stories of it happening

I have heard stories, but I can't understand the fear when there are the safety devices on them that there are. But I know MF was afraid to use a pressure cooker we got for a wedding present. I think she may have used it twice, but it eventually went to Goodwill. I have bought two others since then and use them on occasion. They are smaller than the pressure canners that I have. But they sure do shorten the cooking time for certain things. I make Swiss steak in them on occasion and the family really likes that.

I did a pretty long session yesterday after church making blueberry jam and blueberry conserve. I only did six 12 ounce jars of jam and that clearly is not enough. But I have enough to take care of a church event on the 30th. I should have another jam session next Sunday also though and make more of the blueberry jam. I'm going to take sourdough biscuits and homemade jams to a food fair on the 30th.

I worked on pears today and it seemed to just drag. I didn't get started until after noon and I got 7 quarts put up. At that rate, I won't get all the pears done before they get too ripe.

Randy have you ever scalded pears like you do peaches. Someone once told me that they scald them? I have never tried it

Not much Tomato canning for me this year grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I planted 3 rounds of various seed, germination was a crime.I should get a refund for all those "New Seed" (mostly Burpee)Almost no produce! I have green toms...a few :(
I ended up taking my pop up gifts of toms and just leavening them where they were.They are the ones that are green.I got 2 reds,unbelievable! I guess I was use to the wonderful 22lbs from a plant! I hope the weather is better next year this year was in the 50 and 60 night temps (many times day!)
Raspberries did well. The strawberries were great tasting but few.

Happy canning to all those that have and are able to still cann.as for me I am waiting to pull out plants and clean up and forget this season and hope for a better one next year.I have started my petition to the Lord already...

Have a great day all I will just sit back and read and thank the Lord, not everyone was hit will GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR crops.

Kale:)

I did my first batch of salsa yesterday and today. Fiona made up a recipe several years back and I have used that one as a starting place for a mild salsa without any hot peppers. Her recipe was pretty close to a recipe in the Ball Blue Book as both contained cucumbers. She had extra cucumbers that she wanted to use up at the time. She really likes the flavor of basil, so she included that too. I used both recipes and then tweaked it to my own liking. I prefer a hot salsa, but I made this one for the other members of the family. It has no hot peppers in it at all.

40 cups of Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
8 cups od lemon cucumbers, peeled and diced
4 cups of apple cider vinegar
6 large bell peppers; 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 green
16 to 20 scallions (green onions) chopped, including leaves
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
4 heaping tablespoons minced garlic
4 large onions, diced
1 heaping tablespoon dried basil
1-1/2 to 2 cups of chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup lime juice

Bring the ingredients to a boil in a large saucepot then simmer for 15 minutes. Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace. Affix two-piece caps and process in a hot-water bath canner for 15 minutes. After processing, remove the jars and place on a towel in a draft-free location for 12 to 24 hours. Remove the rings and wipe jars down with a damp cloth. Label and store your salsa.

I have really been on a canning and freezing rampage this summer, espescially lately. It must be the bear in me that is afraid about starving during the winter...or maybe that is the chipmunk!! I have done some different things this year including Habanero Peach Jam, no sugar Peach Jam, Vegetable juice, green tomato slices(to make fried green tomatoes this winter)...and today if I am motivated I am going to make Caramel Apple Preserves. I want to make something with Pears yet too, some sort of preserves or jam, or butter. I am still looking for the perfect recipe. I have decided that instead of taking wine to all of these dinner parties that we attend I will take a jar or two of homemade preserves. Heck, people can go and buy their own wine, but I bet that they won't find too many places that have Habanero Peach Jam!
I am sad that the summer is coming to an end.

I didn't do much with the pears. I put up 31 quarts and did a double batch of jam, but I didn't make it a hot jam, just regular old pear jam. I have a bucket full spread out here in the basement though that I am going to slice up and run through the dryer (dehydrator).

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back