Canning Season

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kya D

Scarez long time no see, how ya been.
Carpal tunnel surgery I know it well. Had mine over 10 years ago.
How long ago did you have it. Mine was micro surgery and healed in about 4-6 weeks

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh my! I didn't know you had that surgery, Scarez. I wouldn't even try to work one-handed. I don't suppose what's his name would offer to help, would he?

Jade

I am still in the mood to can, yikes, but since we are nearing the end of the season I have been doing a little search on what I can make just before Christmas that doesn't require seasonal veggies or fruit. I found a lemon curd recipe that might just keep me busy for a couple of hours one morning. The shelf life is only 3 or 4 months, so I wouldn't want to do it just yet.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had hoped to dry a lot of peppers this season, but with the salsa and jamming I don't believe I can crowd that in. I have a floor full of pears that I want to start on too, but I want to get that class under my belt this evening in case I pick up some pointers there. I have loads of D'Anjou pears still in the trees, but they are falling quite regularly now.

Dor

I want to buy a Ball Blue book and having been looking online. Please tell me which one is best to buy or what you all have since they are several available. Thanks a lot for your help.

Randy how many pints of salsa will a large can of tomatoes make. I don't have enough from my garden but want to make some soon and will need to buy some from the Farmers market and/or buy from Costco or Sam's club. .

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use 3 of those #10 cans for a batch of salsa and that makes four gallons by the time I put everything else in there. So one #10 can would make about 10 pints if my math is correct.

Dor

I use 3 of those #10 cans for a batch of salsa and that makes four gallons by the time I put everything else in there. So one #10 can would make about 10 pints if my math is correct.

Thanks Randy, I am going to start with one #10 can until I perfect mine then I will make more.

Jade

Dor, you can pick up the ball blue book at Lowes too, they have an updated version. I have used mine very extensively in the past, it gives great basic info. I bet mine is 25 years old now or older.

Dor

Dor, you can pick up the ball blue book at Lowes too, they have an updated version. I have used mine very extensively in the past, it gives great basic info. I bet mine is 25 years old now or older.

Thanks Jade, I went to Lowe's this after and didn't think to check there. I went to Half-price book store today also and they didn't have it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I buy the new editions when they come out. They won't change a great deal from edition to edition, but when I look at the old ones, there are things in there that we just don't do any more. When I fist started making jams and jellies, I sealed the jars by pouring melted paraffin in top of the product. The bnext method I remember using was to use the two-piece lids that are still in use, but instead of processing the jars in a water bath, I inverted the jars and let them seal that way. Now, the accepted method is to process the jars in a hot water bath canner. I am convinced it is a much safer method.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered my B-book from Amazon. I don't remember the price but it wasn't very much. You can find the older versions as well as new additions there and on ebay.

Dor

I found it at Lowe's Jade. Thanks everyone for the help. I was so happy to find it. I went to Walmart to get some Mrs Wages and they don't carry it anymore so I have to order it to make my own pickle brine.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com