Casseroles

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I was looking for somewhere to post this but I wasn't sure what thread to post it in so here is a new one. I hope others will post other casserole recipes!! Kim :)

Yellow Squash Casserole

7 to 9 yellow squash (you need enough to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish), cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 butter or margarine
3 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. heavy cream
1 pound Velveeta
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 c slivered almonds

Boil the onion and squash together, until just tender. (Not to much). Drain well. Pour the squash and onion into a 9 x 13 baking dish, that has been coated with cooking spray. In a pan on the top of the stove, melt the butter. Add the cornstarch to make a paste; add cream, and velveeta. Cook, stirring constantly until melted. Pour the cheese mixture over the squash. Top with the crackers, and slmonds. Bake in a 350 degree, preheated oven, intil hot and bubbly. About 30 minutes.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is great, we need to have some casserole recipes. Bring 'em on!!!!

Kya D

Dang Girl that sounds just too good. As I read the recipe I felt the pounds going on. :)

sunflower3

steak & noodles casserloe

left over steak or roast, cut up,about 2 cups
1 pkg. egg noodles cooked
1 can of cream celery soup
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup carrots i use frozen ones

mix together in a casserole and add;
1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
bake 400* 25 minutes

richnkim

Hey sunflower3, This sounds good.

And just for you, miss Dawn. I think I can make this one low-cal. LOL

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, Miss Kim, I'm going to have to try that one. My wife and I are the only ones that will eat summer squash. But I might be able to get the Sanders part of the family to try that one. It's at least worth a try. Here lately, I have been able to get David, my son-in-law, to eat some things that he said he didn't like. I am really pleased though when I see him take some of the leftovers in his lunch. He says he doesn't like tomatoes, but he will put ketchup on just about everything. I saw Robin Miller on "Quick-Fix Meals" today make a dish using a tomato sauce on some fish filets, and I am going to try that one. I have been trying to incorporate more fish into the family diet and so far they have responded well except for the grandson. For him, I have to thaw a couple of Corn Dogs.

richnkim

Now, Miss Kim, I'm going to have to try that one. My wife and I are the only ones that will eat summer squash. But I might be able to get the Sanders part of the family to try that one. It's at least worth a try. Here lately, I have been able to get David, my son-in-law, to eat some things that he said he didn't like. I am really pleased though when I see him take some of the leftovers in his lunch. He says he doesn't like tomatoes, but he will put ketchup on just about everything. I saw Robin Miller on "Quick-Fix Meals" today make a dish using a tomato sauce on some fish filets, and I am going to try that one. I have been trying to incorporate more fish into the family diet and so far they have responded well except for the grandson. For him, I have to thaw a couple of Corn Dogs.

Our grandkids don't like fish either. We get salmon at costco, and I make blakened salmon on the grill. It's good.

richnkim

Here is one that my daughter and I love.

Broccpli Rice Casserole

1 pkg. (10oz.) frozen chopped broccoli
1 medium onion chopped
2 cups cooked white rice
1 small jar cheeze whiz (we like spicy)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup

Cook broccoli, and drain well. Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Pour into a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot in the middle.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
They would like that one. So would I. Is that 2 cups of rice before cooking? I'm assuming it is 2 cups after it is cooked. Two cups of uncooked rice will certainly grow.

Dor

Here is one that my daughter and I love.

Broccpli Rice Casserole

1 pkg. (10oz.) frozen chopped broccoli
1 medium onion chopped
2 cups cooked white rice
1 small jar cheeze whiz (we like spicy)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup

Cook broccoli, and drain well. Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Pour into a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot in the middle.

Kim we make this all the time. I use a 16 bag frozen chopped broccoli and 16 oz package Velveeta cubed. You can add meat to it also.

Prowl

Beef in Beer

Mum Makes This one....
YUMMY

Enough for 3 (It’s freezable, so make all of this)

1 ½ Lb stewing beef – you can buy it ready cubed. ( 675 grams )

2 oz unsalted butter ( 50g )

½ tbsp Olive oil

2 med onions

2 cloves garlic

Salt & pepper

1 level tbsp plain flour

½ tbsp brown sugar

¼ pint beef stock

½ pint beer – Guinness or brown ale

½ tbsp wine vinegar

Pinch mixed herbs

Bay leaf

Garlic Crust

2 oz Unsalted butter, 2 cloves garlic, small French loaf

Put the flour, salt & pepper on a plate and coat the chopped beef in it.

Fry the sliced or chopped onions in the butter and oil until soft.

Add the beef and fry till sealed – just a couple of minutes. Add the garlic and any remaining flour on the plate.

Gradually add the stock and beer.

Add the sugar, vinegar and herbs, cover & put in the oven 160 degrees for 2 hours, stirring once.

Leave to cool – always better the next day – freeze some and when ready re-heat what you want to eat.

Melt some butter in a frying pan, turn off the heat and crush the garlic into it – don’t cook it.

Put the sliced French bread in it, then when the stew is hot again put a layer of bread, butter side up, on the top and put back into a really hot oven to brown.

Enjoy!!!

richnkim

They would like that one. So would I. Is that 2 cups of rice before cooking? I'm assuming it is 2 cups after it is cooked. Two cups of uncooked rice will certainly grow.

Randy, yes it is cooked. I hope that all of you like it. Anything we can do to get the grandkids to eat veggies I think is great! And us too!!!:)

richnkim

Another one:

Texas Tater Casserole

1 pond ground meat, beef, turkey, chicken, or pork
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans cheddar cheese soup, any brand
2 or 3 ribs celery, chopped
1 (16oz.) pkg. frozen tater tots
1 can whole kernel corn
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup picante sauce
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup cheddar or jack cheese

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cook meat, onion, celery, garlic and bell peppers unitl meat is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Stir in the soup, corn, picante sauce and seasonings. Spoon into a baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Top with tater tots. Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes or un itl bubbly. Top with cheese, and return to oven u ntil melted. Enjoy!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim,
I make something like that (squash)but I add chunked tomatoes, mushrooms, but leave out the cream. Never thought about the cream but boy would that be yummy. I think I 'll try that next time I make it;)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That one with the Tater Tots reminds me of one I think Dale posted on GH. I have made that one several times here and there are no leftovers, ever.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com