Cats...Grrrr!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I used to live smack dab in the middle of downtown Columbia, SC. I was on the main route for ambulances to 3 hospitals and a block off a major city thoroughfare. Throw in a few of those thumpa - thumpa car stereos and it was loud! And yet a few birds disturb these folks?

Even surrounded by all the noises of the city, I had lots of birds and crickets and frogs, too.

I had a spray that works well for keeping my orange cat from sticking his nails in my carpet and scratching my door ..but I can't find it.The smell is terrible and he will not scratch my door or dig those nails any more.

I do know ..lemons! Oranges! Grapefruit peels!
Some hand creams! Try perfumes cheep ones $1.00 store.
Test it on your cat if he doesn't go near you, it will work.Just put it on a piece of wood or something outside ,watch and laugh!
My kitty was sitting with me until I started to peel and orange,he freaked I didnt have a clue it was the orange until he came to me for some treats and I gave him and orange !*LOL He freaked! So..now he only goes where I let him.He use to go jumpin in my tree pot and just sit there to look at of the window..he doesn't anymore*LOL
Try it .There should be a spray out there orange scented or citrus to keep them off. out!*lol

Garlic is said to work too but haven't tried.

As far as bird waking me.I couldnt stand it in 1996! until I tried to rescue a fallen baby and it passed away :( no matter how educated I got real quick.It totally broke myheart and my very young daughter, I then ended up with Sweetie our cockatiel! Been a bird owner since and love them every morning to go out and try to id who is singing!*LOL
Of course I have to take measure to keep them from pulling all my worms and Preying Mantis and seedlings and veggie flowers! But I am enjoying them now:)

Kale:)

It is amazing what upsets people ain't it

My neighbor bought a mini schnauzer to keep outdoors all year long and all it does is bark all day everyday we can have extreme low temps and snow blizzards and that little dog is out barking.
Now.I cant stand listening to that dog ,reason..It tells me she is lonely and neglected, she should not be outside for hours on end in the cold,nobody talks to her. She just barks day in day out, I can not hear my radio outside in my yard, doesn't matter where I go I hear it ,I cant even record the birds because the dog is barking. I had another neighbor that will rake her driveway for hours on end just rake it, ok rake rake go in and have some tea,warm up a bit..noooooooooo she just raked and raked.I went to buy long enough extension cords to reach her house down the street a few houses and tell her LET ME BLOW YOUR LEAVES FOR YOU! Hubby said no:(
So there I had it, for days on end rake rake rake on cement...It was a trying time every year*LOL
Why did it bother me..because she was distressed, I can't imagine someone actually doing that under calm situation... Hey I think I'll rake my driveway for several hours per day...No, she had a problem which was distressful to me, also, she could have used a broom or just blow them in less then 20mins work..Guess what...She moved! Bad news I think she knows the new owners a relative or something I saw her car and my daughter said, Oh No ..another year of raking ..I said no..I will not be here as soon as I see that rake come out of her car!*LOL

We never know why things bother some and not others.When I first moved out of Brooklyn to LongIsland as an adult I couldn't sleep the crickets were madding, no cars or other sounds just crickets..I lost so much sleep.

I use to have the tank in my bedroom near my bed*lol I bought them to listen to them until the toads eat 'em*LOL Crickets put me right to sleep.

Life is funny how we change our view on the silliest things that we were so seriously bothered by before.
I'll never get over the sad dog barking; it is rather disturbing and sad.

that little dog is out barking.

We have one of those neighbors too. Their dog upset everyone in the neighborhood - remember this is a shift-work town - 7 out 10 people work shifts here. So what did these folks do? They got another dog to keep the first one company. Jeesh!!!! :eek::eek::eek: Now they both go at it ALL the time in the summer.
These are the folks directly in back of us and those dogs will even come up & snarl through the fence (as a change and interspersed with the barking). Can't even enjoy our backyard if those dogs are out!

We & the other neighbors finally had to get the police out here last summer on a Sunday morning - at 6 AM!:eek:!! :mad: The cops issued them a citation and a warning and told them if they had to come out again the DA would be calling them & they would be going to court.

Now raking cement? hmmmmm..... guess that gal must have some issues. :p

the neighbor right next door to me has 2 min pins that are left outside for hours every day rain or shine, snow doesnt matter they are outside. They bark at everything day and night. And the poor female dog has had 6 litters of pups in the 4 years I have been on this street. She is pregnant again right now. She is looking so worn out and is turning very grey in the face now. I feel very sorry for those dogs and i do go over an pet them often. They are just craving attention. The yard stinks because he never cleans up after them and they only have the porch to lay on that does not have dog poop on it. To feed them he dumps a scoop of dog food on the proch and lets them eat it that way no matter if it is raining out and the food gets all soggy. I have tried to get him to give me the dogs but he wont part with them. He is s sick man and I just pray for him.

RR

"Now raking cement? hmmmmm..... guess that gal must have some issues."

Yes That Is what I was thinking...
Wonder if we got the cat out of the flower beds yet?*LOL

Meanwhile we are talking about dogs...and cement...*lol
I can come back to more Dog whoofs.. later..
I have a few, just that little one is the kicker....

Are the cats out yet?
Dont want to hijack your Grrr Kitty thread RR!

Kale

Many years ago I got a new next door neighbor, they moved here from NYC. We laughed so hard,(behind their backs) when they complained about the birds waking them up in the morning, they decided to put a koi pond in their yard, and these wonderful frogs moved in I loved hearing them, they were not happy with the frob hurumps either. It was pretty funny.

I moved to the Santa Cruz Mts. in Calif, straight from the HARD streets of Brooklyn NY onto a 20 acre peice of Redwood forested land with thousands of acres of federal land butting the property. You want to talk about a hip little NYC snot trying to deal with that sceen. OMG I thought there had to be murders behind every tree. The water pump was broken when we first moved into the house and we had to use water from a creek, and "I" was expected to drink water that ran over mud and rocks, you've got to be kidding! For six months I felt like I was in a bubble, looking out at this strange and scarry world so removed from my reality. Then one day I was walking around the property taking in the shear beauty of it and thought, If I died right now and this was the last thing I saw of this world I would be so lucky. That's when the bubble broke and I assimulated into my new world---and I was, so lucky

That is quite a transition. I have been very fortunate through the years to have been able to walk back into the mountains and get away from all the sounds of civilization. There was a place in California that I went into several times that was really beautiful. It's called Desolation Valley and it is up in the high Sierras almost up to the timberline. It is a designated wilderness area and no motors of any kind are allowed in there. I should look and see if I have a good photo to post of it.

I have several photos, but this is the only one I have with me in a picture. This taken in 1958, I believe.

Attachments

• File0219.jpg
    File0219.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 298
OMG Randy you look like my Uncle Willy did when he was a young man. He has been gone for over 20 years but I still miss him.

What a picture, Randy!

Hey RR, I have been having problems with the neighbors cats coming around and digging in my beds. Thanks, everyone for all the tips on keeping them away! I will try them.

I have added some weight and a lot of years since that photo was taken. There were five of us guys that walked in to Desolation Valley back then. I have been in there several times. The first time was when I was 15 years old. If you walk the whole way, it is about a 10 or 12 mile walk. But you can take a boat through two lakes (Upper Echo Lake and Lower Echo Lake) and save about 5 miles of walking. I don't think I would tackle that now.

He sure does look like a MOVIE STAR!
Thanks for sharing Randy!
Very nice...:)

That place up there is like a movie set, but I would hate to see anyone bring in a crew. Those boulders are massive. The first time I walked up in there, our troop of boy scouts walked into the valley for 11 miles and met a mule pack train to set up a cache of supplies for people that might get stuck up in that high country during the snow seasons. We had to wait awhile before the pack train arrived and even though we had just walked in 11 miles, all us boys started playing cowboys and Indians up there among all those huge boulders. I'm not so sure about looking like a movie star though. LOL When the five of us went in the summer of 1958, I carried a lot of stuff. My pack weighed 90 pounds. But I made it fine and even after arriving where we would make camp by one of the lakes, I walked back down the trail because one of the other guys was having trouble. I met him and took his pack and carried it back up to camp for him. I have an axe on my shoulder and that is something I probably wouldn't carry again on a hiking trip. We weren't allowed to cut any living tree, but there were plenty of dead branches on the ground that we were able to use for cooking. That was in the days before dehydrated foods and I lugged too many canned goods up into the mountains. We did have to bring everything back out though and the empty cans were much lighter than the full ones. That was a great trip though and what a gorgeous place to see.

This has turned into an interesting thread. P. S. Randy, I love your pic, thanks for posting.

I love nature but not to the extent it disrupts sleep. Several years ago, I would guess we had either a nightingale or mocking bird frequent a tree directly outside my bedroom that would keep us up for hours, wee hours in the morning, 3:00 a.m, 4:00 a.m., singing it's little heart out. This went on for months. Finally, the bird found another tree. I heard the bird just recently in a tree behind our house singing in the wee hours again. It's not bad now since the tree in the back is at the other end of my house. Your stories are funny, and wow, racking cement? :)

I was just researching what will deter cats in gardens on google today as I too have been having a problem with the next door neighbor's cat that likes to spend time at my house. A skitish little thing. He/she left me quite a sticky bundle in my garden yesterday. :( I have a funny pic of the cat nestled in my brugmansia. Urrgh, I snapped the shot just before he/she ran. I'll try and post it here for you. Not sure how tho. Do you use photobucket here? I'll try that.
4-30-09-5-2-09063.jpg

I read that planting geraniums, marigolds and petunias can deter cats. Also they dislike coleus canina and lavender. I also read they dislike coffee grinds. Water scarecrows and ultrasonic cat repellers help.
Cayenne and water in spray will deter cats. You need to re-spray after rains tho.

Hope this helps. I will try a few myself.

It worked and that is a cute picture. We do have three cats in the house here and they are quite entertaining. They seem to love empty boxes. Apparently they seem to feel secure when they can't be seen.

I have a few neighbor cats that seem to think one of my flowerbeds is their's...got a few oz. of Cayenne pepper yesterday and will be dusting ...

Randy...I do think where that picture was taken my dad was on a job up there...

It is a very well-known area now. I could never make that walk now though. But I still enjoy the memories of the beauty of that place. No motors or mechanized equipment is allowed, so the quietness except for nature's noises is really quite stark.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back