Cedar planter

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Blueaussi

Mom wanted a replacement for a wooden planter that's been at the ned of her patio for about 6 or 7 years. I got it when there was an autumn flower show in Columbia at the Farmer's Market. There was a man who was selling planters and other garden furniture made from distressed wood rejected at a lumber mill. The box I got had been made from a tree that had been hit by lightning.

Well, that was the only time those folks came to one of the flower shows, so getting another from them was right out. And Mom kept talking about how cedar lasted longer. I decided to take a stab at making one.

So, life and the Market Day at Historic Camden have been getting in the way, but luckily we decided to celebrate Mother's Day next weekend, because we were all pooped from a busy week. That gave me today to try and knock it together. I had every intention of taking pictures as I went, but kinda forgot once I started working.

Learned a lot about what not to do next time, but it's together, and if you don't look too close, it'll pass the muster. I was limited a bit by what cedar boards were available locally, 6 X 8 was the best I could do, but here it is.

Cbox_4720.jpg

Inside4721.jpg

Bottom4723.jpg

I lightly sealed the wood with a clear polyurethane for a little extra protection. The "feet" are a little off center, but I didn't think about the feet before I put the braces on. Next time, if there is a next time, I will probably also put the end pieces inside the long side pieces instead of the other way around.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks pretty good to me. If you seal it though, you probably should drill some drain holes.

Bernie

Randy is right otherwise it looks perfect to me. Great job. I can do a lot of things but carpentry has always escaped me.

swindy

Looks great Blue. Your mother must have been very happy to recieve that flower box for Mothers Day. You did a great job.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice Job! I love wood working and building. Most people don't think of women as carpenters but it's just like sewing only with wood;)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your cedar planter looks great. You may have motiviated me to do some wood planters.

Dor

Blue, that is a wonderful planter you made. I am sure your mother is very happy with her gift.

You motivated me to get off my laurels and start on my mantel shelf. I went to HD today but didn't find the wood I want. I will try Lowe's next and then Ace if I can't find what I want. I want to use poplar or red oak. My new floor is Sandalwood so I want it to match. If I use poplar I will have to stain it.

Blueaussi

Thanks guys, you're being very kind.

Randy, I did drill some drain holes in it.

I'll be giving it to my mother this weekend.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com