Christmas Past...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Christmas always makes me think of being a kid, the family all being together and and the anticipation and sound of those carefully wrapped packages being ripped open on Christmas morning. LOL!

My favorite gift received as a child was - a large 2 story metal dollhouse with furniture, dolls and "stuff" in it from my Aunt and Granny. :)

:confused: ??? So what was YOUR -
My favorite gift received as a child was...

Oh Gosh, DD....Igot a dollhouse like that, too!!! At first I had plastic furniture, but later got some made of wood. I was stylin'!!

I don't know why I so enjoyed the gift I'm about to describe...perhaps because I've always been a wordsmith and loved working with my hands...but I remember feeling total bliss when I opened it. There were other gifts, other years...ice skates, a stereo...an engagement ring!!...but I will always remeber how I felt this morning.

It was one of those cardboard boxes filled with like 100 puzzle books, how-to-draw books, games you put together, origami things, color-by-number, etc. I can still see the hinged lid and the overflowing wonderfullness (it's a word, darn it). I remember sitting in the hallway the next morning before daylight, just touching so many books and cheap toys...I was about 6.

Isn't it funny what we cherish?

Last edited:
Mine is similar to yours Shine. I got it in my stocking, a fan, a beautiful Chinese fan with blossoms painted on it, (plastic) but looked like ivory. It had a tassel on the end and it was very special to me. I can't even remember the big gifts I got that year only the wonderful exotic fan.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a child, gifts from Santa were not wrapped and not put under the tree until after we were asleep on Christmas Eve night. I remember one particular Christmas morning when I, my sister and brothers awoke early, slipped to the living room and nabbed our gifts. Name tags were on each.
There was a huge box wrapped up in pretty red paper but none of us touched it as it had no name on it and our gifts were not wrapped. I was a bit disappointed because I didn't get much compared to my siblings. Once Mom and Dad woke and joined us, I was told that the big red box was mine! I was elated..I'd never gotten a wrapped gift before! It was a metal kitchen set..the stove, refridgerator and sink with a tank on back for so I had running water in the sink..it was the best gift ever.

Oh my goodness this thread is going to bring back lots of beautiful memories for us.
I remember mine very clearly. I was about 5 and things I knew were pretty tough for mom and dad that year. I remember going to bed and there was nothing under the tree. In the morning I got up and there was lots of presents under the tree. I felt like Gloria as there wasn't too much for me. Mom left the room and came back with a huge (to me) box and set it in front of me. I opened it and found the biggest doll that I have ever seen. She was almost taller then me. I was so happy. It was one of those dolls that walked with you. I remember her so clearly. She was the best gift I ever got.

Last edited:
Kinnika that doll must have been an "Patty Play Pal" They were the size of a 3 or 4 year old.
The best Christmas I remember was not while I was a child. It was the year that I invited a girlfriend and her 6 year old son to spend Christmas eve and Christmas Day with us as she was in bad times and could not even buy a tree for her son. I was raising 2 boys at that time and though we didn't have much I explained to them that we were going to share our Christmas with Demetri because he had nothing and asked them if it would be ok if I bought him some gifts out of the money I had set aside for their Christmas gifts, as Demetri still believed,and we would would have to be his Santa this year . Both the boys didn't take a minute to agree and then Mike the youngest at 10 said he wanted to give Demetri all of his Lego's as a gift from Santa. Mike had a big box of Lego's that he had been collecting since he was much younger. I told Mike it was a very generous gift and to make sure he wanted to give the Lego's to Demetri, as he still played with them and I didn't want him to feel bad after the fact, I also suggested that maybe he should keep half of them, which he refused to do . That Christmas morning I received the most wonderful gift when I saw the excitement in Mikes eyes watching Demetri open that big cardboard box of Lego's. Mike never once hinted that they had been his, or that the gift was from him and not Santa.

Last edited:
got it in my stocking, a fan, a beautiful Chinese fan with blossoms painted on it, (plastic) but looked like ivory. It had a tassel on the end and it was very special to me. I can't even remember the big gifts I got that year only the wonderful exotic fan.
Oh wow!! I had one of those fans too! And it was AWESOME! I felt like such an exotic, fancy person! That doll house was probably the largest gift I had ever received up to that point.

Swindy, I've had an experience like that a time or two myself. Completely blows you away if you get to watch it happening. :rolleyes:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like Dizzy I too had a metal 2 story with all the furniture and a bath tub that you could fill. But my best love gift was a friend my Mom made me from the scraps left over from making me new clothes. I named him Fred. My kids loved Fred and now my grandkids. Fred sits in a chair in the foyer when he is not being drug by his hair through the house or slept on by a tired baby. The year I got Fred was tough. My dad had been ill and back in the day Moms did not work , although my Mom sewed for "special people". They would often give her their old clothes so she could alter them and either wear them or sell them. Wow if I had her talent!!!! Anyway she would take her old clother and make me new ones and a lot of times that was Christmas. So she created Fred as a gift from her clothes and made me clothes that matched his legs. LOL! Fred has a heart and has over the years lost both eyes which were green glass buttons. So now the black patches the eyes were on looks like someone beat him up. But to this day I love Fred. More for what he stands for ; which is a mothers love; than for what he is. I'll have to post a picture. He's got personality for sure!

Fred sounds very special. In my opinion it is the thought that creates a gift therefore something that is made has much more gift value than something that is bought. Someone had to take the time to create it. I think I have taught my kids this very well as they always insist on a homemade birthday cake so even if I'm tired tired tired they get a homemade cake even though it's not as pretty as a bakery cake :)

My favorite Christmas present was a record player I got when I was six. I even stopped opening the rest of my presents to play records. My parents finally has to ask me if I was going to open the rest of my presents lol! I got a lot of mileage out of that record player :)

Dora/Garden Goddess

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Crabber, you may not be more than a novice at sewing, but your talents in other areas are excessive. But I know what you mean. I look on others talents with wonder and appreciation. I like what Dora said also. I made a mistake some years back. When our kids were small, I built them a record player from scratch. I cut the plywood to form the cabinet and built the electronics portion from the basic parts. I remember it used a single fast warming tube called a 3V4. I did buy the turntable and motor from an outfit in Chicago (Burnstein and Applebee), a mail-order electronics place. The mistake though was that when the kids had all left home, I threw the record player away even though it still worked fine. We had accumulated quite an assortment of children's records called 'little golden records' or something like that. It wasn't until we had the grandkids that I realized what a treasure I had discarded. I still have the plans for the record player, but you can't buy a turntable anymore like you could 50 years ago. The record player played all three speeds of the records then available too.

Little golden records, those sound familiar lol! I had books on records. They were little 45's with an accompanying book. They had cute little signals to turn the pages.

My dad put together a keyboard for me with a radio shack kit.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those kits were fun. I always used Heathkits. Radio Shack, Knight, and Heath were the three outfits that put kits out for the people that liked to put their own equipment together. I still have several down here in the basement with me. In the early days of color TV, Heath put out a kit and when completed, you had a really fine piece of equipment. I have built radios and used them to talk to people near and far. For long distance communication though I preferred to use a telegraph key and use Morse code.

this was wonderful to read the day after christmas. Each of you brought up wonderful memories of my childhood.--These were a bigger christmas present, then each one of you would know!!
My favorite christmas gift(but I have even many more)-But this year, I believe I was about 8years old. Matel had a little plastic make-up table, with a mirror, stool and full of make up goodies. I so dearly wanted that, every commercial, every time we went shopping--I had to point out that lovely make-up table.
Christmas day I had a fever and was feeling so lousy,I think every one was sick that year. We gathered as a family at the top of the stairs, we walked down as a group-and there was a Make-up table with a stool and mirror- filled with "stuff". My grandfather built this table,stool and my grandmother had sewed a pink dotted swiss dresser table skirt, white mirror with roses painted on it. I adored that little table and stool.
Thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't remember any extra special Christmas's. I came from a large family 8 sisters and 1 brother so we had Christmas but not a lot of individual expensive gifts. But that's okay. Mama always did lots of cooking and baking and had extra family and friends in to share our Christmas festivities. My most memorable gift of all time was when I graduated from high school I got a new 1967 Cutlass Oldsmobile, that is telling my age.

my very favorite Christmas was about 10 years ago, I was an apt manager..and we worked for apts that were under HUD..( low income families) I went around to businesses and asked for help to give Christmas to the families. I spent a lot of time wrapping , and on Christmas Eve Day while the kids and families were out...we went into the apts and placed Christmas trees AND gifts into each apt.....even one apt was giving a train, and we set it up under the tree, so when they came home it was going around the tree. We even had food baskets for each one, so it was Christmas trees, gifts and dinners...and It just made my Christmas soo special. We even had a big party in the office for everyone, and Santa made an appearance......when I think back, that is the Christmas that always means the most to me. I still have all the homemade cards that all the kids gave me from that year.

as for a childhood memory, I think my fav was when one of my older brothers woke me in the middle of the night, and told me to come downstairs and see what santa brought....we played with my little brothers remote control car, and when he came down the next morning, the batteries were dead....LOL

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
my very favorite Christmas was about 10 years ago, I was an apt manager..and we worked for apts that were under HUD..( low income families) I went around to businesses and asked for help to give Christmas to the families. I spent a lot of time wrapping , and on Christmas Eve Day while the kids and families were out...we went into the apts and placed Christmas trees AND gifts into each apt.....even one apt was giving a train, and we set it up under the tree, so when they came home it was going around the tree. We even had food baskets for each one, so it was Christmas trees, gifts and dinners...and It just made my Christmas soo special. We even had a big party in the office for everyone, and Santa made an appearance......when I think back, that is the Christmas that always means the most to me. I still have all the homemade cards that all the kids gave me from that year.

as for a childhood memory, I think my fav was when one of my older brothers woke me in the middle of the night, and told me to come downstairs and see what santa brought....we played with my little brothers remote control car, and when he came down the next morning, the batteries were dead....LOL
Those are the memories that will be forever etched in our brain. Doing for others gives such satisfaction. This year 2 of the recipients of our giving got food box as well as money. The food box had basics like sugar, flour, rice etc. When one of the elderly ladies looked through the box she said, "people don't usually give sugar and flour. Now I can do more baking." That touched me and my husband. This year the need is great, so if you can afford to help someone, it isn't too late. Helping others will make every Christmas special.

That touched me and my husband. This year the need is great, so if you can afford to help someone, it isn't too late. Helping others will make every Christmas special
Dale, you & hubby are so special! Sure am proud to know you. :)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I second that, Dizzy. Dale and her hubby are two amazing people with the kindest and biggest hearts. They have done sooo much for the troops and for people in need. They are both very special folks indeed.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Crabber, you may not be more than a novice at sewing, but your talents in other areas are excessive. But I know what you mean. I look on others talents with wonder and appreciation. I like what Dora said also. I made a mistake some years back. When our kids were small, I built them a record player from scratch. I cut the plywood to form the cabinet and built the electronics portion from the basic parts. I remember it used a single fast warming tube called a 3V4. I did buy the turntable and motor from an outfit in Chicago (Burnstein and Applebee), a mail-order electronics place. The mistake though was that when the kids had all left home, I threw the record player away even though it still worked fine. We had accumulated quite an assortment of children's records called 'little golden records' or something like that. It wasn't until we had the grandkids that I realized what a treasure I had discarded. I still have the plans for the record player, but you can't buy a turntable anymore like you could 50 years ago. The record player played all three speeds of the records then available too.
Aww shucks Randym you make me blush!:eek: Thank you,
I have done the same thing as you by tossing something I thought I could do without only to realize what a mistake it was. Especailly things my Mom made. I would have like to be the one that got that record player what a treasure!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best I can do anymore with the record player is to see it in the old 8mm home movies we have. Our girls do remember the record player, but our son does not.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com