Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Sauce

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here it is, Crabber. As I mention in the notes, I am going to experiment some, but the recipe as it stands has received good reports even from people in the family that don't like cranberry sauce. Read the notes though. There is one that says I used ground cinnamon instead of the sticks. That is the only way I have made it so far.

Cinnamon Apple Cranberry Sauce

2 cups cranberry juice
1 six-ounce bag sweetened dried cranberries
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
1 cup sugar
2 Gala apples; peeled, cored, and diced
2 tsp corn starch

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the cranberry juice, cranberries, cinnamon, and sugar. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries have softened and apples are tender, about five minutes.

Remove 8 ounces of the liquid to a small bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. Slowly add the cornstarch – juice mixture (slurry) to the cranberry mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for an additional five minutes.

Remove from heat and pour into a serving bowl. Refrigerate until thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove the cinnamon sticks and serve.

Note 1: Instead of removing 8 ounces of the juice from the cooking mix, I set aside 8 ounces in which to dissolve the cornstarch and added the slurry when the recipe called for it. The cornstarch dissolves easier in cool liquid.

Note 2: I haven’t used Gala apples yet, but I do use good quality apples. Nor did I peel the apples before dicing. I had Fuji apples on hand and used them instead of Galas. Some of the best tasting part of an apple is the peel and that part immediately under the peel.

Note 3: I haven’t done it yet, but I want to see if I can work fresh cranberries into this recipe rather than dried/sweetened cranberries. I hope to do the experiment before I need the real thing on Thanksgiving Day.

Note 4: There is a lot of sugar in this recipe. In addition to using fresh cranberries, I want to use brown sugar, un-packed. That will reduce the sugar content at least a little. The finished product above is quite sweet and I believe it can stand less sugar.

Note 5: I used a teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead of stick cinnamon and didn’t have to be concerned about removing the sticks.

Note 6: I use Clearjel most of the time instead of regular cornstarch. Clearjel is a modified cornstarch that does not break down as regular cornstarch is wont to do. Clearjel is what many commercial kitchens will use for a thickening agent. I don’t believe you will find it in a regular market. I got it from a restaurant supply place.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know why not, but let me think on that for awhile. I will look at the Ball Blue Book and see if they have any recipes for cranberries. If cranberries are high enough in acid it will be fine. Apples surely are. You could also boost the acidity a little bit by adding some lemon juice.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com