Come and Grow A Rose With Me

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

To post a pic just resize
click reply
and go to attach files
find your pic that you have in a folder
upload
close window
and submit reply.:D

Kale:)

Attachments

• lol FCloudist set of blooms09.jpg
    lol FCloudist set of blooms09.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 409
Kale...I want them all...and I want them now. :) Don't want to know them once the black spot comes though.

Hello Kale, I want to thank you for encouraging us to plant and enjoy roses. I have about 7 or 8 Iceberg roses bordering my property line in my front side garden. January and Feburary are the months here in southern California to buy bare root roses. I live in a Spanish Revivial home and one of the design elements for gardens of this style home is roses with a boxwood hedge. I plan on buy about 4 different roses to plant in my backyard and then plant a hedge around them. I was thinking of putting a large statue in the middle. This thread has inspired me to get out there and pick my roses. Thanks.

Kale...I want them all...and I want them now. :) Don't want to know them once the black spot comes though.
*LOL!!!
I was going to post this morning but snow came and I was distracted I will do anything to be outside *lol
Checked; and all roses are fine I was mulching with light weight snow*lol
and I am working on another gallery for you !
I'm guessing you love all colors :rolleyes: Just like me!
I was going to start with June blooms and move from there.
Please be patient I will not forget, I have to rename them all also just in case you dont know him or her:D:D
So there you will have it:)

Kale that rose is stunning.

The pinkish tricolor?:) Blooms well.:)

Pacificstar, Great for you !Quite welcomed! that is the goal!:)
Plant and watch those blooms they can mend a broken heart in a second!

You must see the English garden thread
http://www.gardenforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83

Please keep in mind, this was their first year and their living conditions were not very favorable. Lots of tending, I am also working on a 2009 gallery from that Rose Garden. Just distracted with MIlL & gfriend. for now.

These are "show roses" the more tending the more blooms and healthy plants.This year they were nearly flawless in performance!
They love to be sung to ..*LOL naaa I just added that.:)

Kale:D:D

Pacificstar If ever the time comes that you are pruning your Iceberg Bushes I would love some cuttings. I could pay postage

Kya, I will be pruning my Iceberg's soon. Hey, sorry I have never cut them to reproduce. Give me some instruction and I will send them off to you.

Thanks Kale! Your amazing, how did you know I was thinking of buying a specific rose for our parents who have passed? Hence the 4 rose bushes.

Everyone enjoy the week-end!

Kya, not sure about your weather and environment but here the Japanese beetle (which come from under the lawns everyone is enslaved to around here *lol) Love the light shades of roses.My JFK is no longer allowed to stay outside.I cut him and bring him in to enjoy; the Japanese beetles will destroy in a few hours, I have to cover him and wait until he opens a tad then cut him and stick him in a vase! Close all windows and doors! No kidden one found his way inside I nearly passed out*LOL If JB are a concern I thought Id warn you.Also not so sure how success rooting will be, I'm sure there are instructions here in the rose section...Some roses are nearly impossible.
Be patient and try, I can't get several of mine to root even with root hormone.
Some I just stick in the ground and get a rooting it is a hit and miss.
I have one in water growing now, but for the roots to take off in soil...whole new story.
Iceberg is a gorgeous rose indeed! Keep up posted would love to know if it takes and how you did it!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to update this forum on Roses, I was reading all the post and didn't see any thing on using epsom salt or bone meal on roses, this week I went on a garden tour and there was a lady that gave a talk on feeding roses epsom salt and bone meal, she said to mix 1gal water with 1 teaspoon epsom salt for each rose 3 or 4 times a season, bone meal add a small hand full when you plant a new rose, you can add it to your older roses my digging it or just place it in the well around your plant and it will work its way down to the roots when you water. Ive been using epsom salt for years and I have larger blooms and the plant looks better, she didn't like most of the rose food you buy because its full of junk that the plants don't need, not sure how true that is but I'm not one for things I don't know what in them and don't want to harm my roses.if any one else has use there I would like to hear how they worked out.

PS
the tour sucked but the talk was great way to early for garden tours up here in New England

I use epson's salt's around my roses too.But I sprinkle it around them and water it in.It melt's very fast also put it around my gardenia's it help's with black mold.:)

I sprinkle epsom salts around all my plants and then water them. It does melt fast like Spider said. I bought some blood and bone meal this season. I used some of that vegetable tomato food on my bell pepper seedling and it slumpled over. I am getting rid of it. my seedling was doing fine and had three or four sets of leaves. Its raining so I hope it will pep up. I am going to repot it and hope it will come back.

Spider_Lily, how much epsom salt do you use per plant? I think it would be easier to sprinkle it around the plant the having to mix so much a head of time and seems like lot less work and I like less work

I love roses, as many as I can handle a small yard .. not picky, but the same in their care, they get a lot of it .. where flowering, they are in Oregon for about 7 months a year, So I have a lot of color.

I used about a teaspoon or so per plant, I don't measure just sprinkle a little around each bush. I did this in Oregon and here in Iowa....haven't killed any yet :) I don't use bone meal as that encourages my doggie to dig in my flower beds.

Dora

my roses

Ah roses...they are my favorites.
I had to do some soil amending as mine was very rocky and clay-like.
After adding compost & various other aids, I got the pH level where it needed to be and planted the following:
Double Delight hybrid tea
John F. Kennedy hybrid tea
Memorial Day hybrid tea,
Oranges and Lemons floribunda
Honey Perfume floribunda,
Bella Roma hybrid tea,
Radiant Perfume hybrid tea,
Happy Chappy ground cover,
4th of July climber.

I found that epsom salts do help, a few spoonfuls. I also find that Bradfield Organics 'Riveting Roses' fertilizer does a good job.

I installed a soaker hose around my biggest bed and it does the job of even watering just fine.

For the winter months, I pruned everything way back, covered each with about a foot of mulch and wrapped each plant in chicken wire. I had planned on topping off each plant with hay, however, snow storms came frequent and full this year so I figured the snow would make a nice insulating blanket instead.

I'm looking to plant some red roses this spring. After doing some research, I discovered 3 that I really like:
Francois Rabelais, floribunda,
Lavaflow (lavaglut) floribunda,
& a David Austin Rose called, 'The Prince'

I had my eye on a rose called 'Black Baccara' however, it isn't hardy enough for my zone.

I love my roses; I hope to expand my collection. I don't find that they are difficult to maintain; they do need work and attention but not more than your average plant that you want to last and look great.

I have some pictures from last summer that I'll post. I'm looking forward to this years blooms; only a few short weeks till I can take off their 'winter coats' and wake them up!

:)

Hi Dublinah, welcome back, I hope your snow is melting as fast as it is here, I had a chance to check to see how some of my roses made it with all the wet heavy snow we had this year, so far every one looks good

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back