Companion Planting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
This topic came up in another thread and I thought it would be nice to see what others think of , or have tried in this type of gardening.
I found this chart and thought it was a good start. Each in line are things that work well planted together.

Table 1. COMPANION PLANTING CHART FOR HOME & MARKET GARDENING (compiled from traditional literature on companion planting)
CROP COMPANIONS INCOMPATIBLE
Asparagus Tomato, Parsley, Basil
Beans Most Vegetables & Herbs
Beans, Bush Irish Potato, Cucumber, Corn, Strawberry, Celery, Summer Savory Onion
Beans, Pole Corn, Summer Savory, Radish Onion, Beets, Kohlrabi, Sunflower
Cabbage Family Aromatic Herbs, Celery, Beets, Onion Family, Chamomile, Spinach, Chard Dill, Strawberries, Pole Beans, Tomato
Carrots English Pea, Lettuce, Rosemary, Onion Family, Sage, Tomato Dill
Celery Onion & Cabbage Families, Tomato, Bush Beans, Nasturtium
Corn Irish Potato, Beans, English Pea, Pumpkin, Cucumber, Squash Tomato
Cucumber Beans, Corn, English Pea, Sunflowers, Radish Irish Potato, Aromatic Herbs
Eggplant Beans, Marigold
Lettuce Carrot, Radish, Strawberry, Cucumber
Onion Family Beets, Carrot, Lettuce, Cabbage Family, Summer Savory Beans, English Peas
Parsley Tomato, Asparagus
Pea, English Carrots, Radish, Turnip, Cucumber, Corn, Beans Onion Family, Gladiolus, Irish Potato
Potato, Irish Beans, Corn, Cabbage Family, Marigolds, Horseradish Pumpkin, Squash, Tomato, Cucumber, Sunflower
Pumpkins Corn, Marigold Irish Potato
Radish English Pea, Nasturtium, Lettuce, Cucumber Hyssop
Spinach Strawberry, Faba Bean
Squash Nasturtium, Corn, Marigold Irish Potato
Tomato Onion Family, Nasturtium, Marigold, Asparagus, Carrot, Parsley, Cucumber Irish Potato, Fennel, Cabbage Family
Turnip English Pea Irish Potato

Wombat

That's a comprehensive list Crabber but I've grown a lot of incompatible veggies together and haven't had a problem. I tried to adhere to companion planting over the years, even planting trial beds one with good companions and the other with bad ones but it seems to have little difference in my yields and I've never had a any major problems. Maybe I've been lucky as there's quite a few on your list that I haven't grown together yet and there must be some problems reported or the list would'nt exist. Have you tried it before?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember that book Dawn!
You don't have to use this method to grow but it is interesting that the combination of some plants helps deter pest. I always plant a marigold patch in the middle of the garden and sometimes a boarded of marigolds all the way around the garden. Not sure if it helps but it looks good.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still have that book but haven't looked at it in a really long time. Maybe I will look for it, wait a bit I think it got moved to storage when my son moved in.

Wombat

I've always planted different herbs and flowers in my veggie beds to deter "bad" insects and to attract 'good ones". Some appear to work and others, as Crabber said just look good. I think it's great to see a splash of colour here and there and know that it's also doing some good.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You just plant them near each other not in the same rows. The idea of companion planting is to plant things that complement each other for pest and nutrition reasons. Now if you want to over plant crops you can plant corn and beans together. The beans will climb the corn stalks and you can still harvest both . ;)

jbaby7162000

Im gonna say this ,did you know that if you are a smoker,its bad for gardening,ive lost a lot of plants due to smoking i believe an dwha i found out it rallky dont like a smokers hands.

KallieLashay

Hey Jbaby you are right! I heard this from a fellow gardener who warned me because I am a smoker. I now go out front to smoke. The tomatoes can get tobacco mosiac virus from the smoke.

And thanks crabbergirl, that makes more sense!

SandiB

I had a book years ago called "carrots love tomatoes" about companion planting

I have the books Carrots Love Tomatoes and Roses Love Garlic by Louise Riotte ..secrets of companion planting. Got a great deal @ Amazon.com :)

Dor

You just plant them near each other not in the same rows. The idea of companion planting is to plant things that complement each other for pest and nutrition reasons. Now if you want to over plant crops you can plant corn and beans together. The beans will climb the corn stalks and you can still harvest both . ;)

Nanci, I am growing my corn, beans and squash together this year as I don't have a lot of space. I think it is called squaw gardening. I am planting along my fence with a bantam sweet corn. The way I am growing the corn I can probably get 2 rows wide. I sure pray it works. Should I plant pole or bush beans? I think pole will work. I am planting bush beans in one of my raised beds with cucumbers and marigolds.

SandiB

Nanci, I am growing my corn, beans and squash together this year as I don't have a lot of space. I think it is called squaw gardening. I am planting along my fence with a bantam sweet corn. The way I am growing the corn I can probably get 2 rows wide. I sure pray it works. Should I plant pole or bush beans? I think pole will work. I am planting bush beans in one of my raised beds with cucumbers and marigolds.

Dor check this out ( I have never tried a 3 Sisters Garden but have read about)..http://www.kidsgardening.com/growingideas/projects/march02/mar02-pg1.htm

Dor

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com