Crabber's project folder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Good Advice. I will try that. I noticed a few weeks ago that when I had my 70-300mm lens on that it acts like the auto focus motor is sticking. I thought it was the lens itself because it is over 20 years old but now it is doing it with any one I have on. If I click the lenses on ond off it will work for a click or 2 but that's it. The camera is about 4 years old I guess it's time to refurb or get a new one :( I think I will use my phone today. ;) I can't wait for you to see the changes. We never meant to do all this. It just kept getting added too. I will be glad when it is done.

Latest Pictures

Ok...I fussed with my camera until I could get it to work a little.

1.) The reason this picture is so foggy is that there is so much concrete dust in the air from the saws. Everything is covered in a layer of concrete dust. Even the inside of our trucks and portions of my house ....and all the windows were closed.

2.) Driveway without landscaping. They just finished it Friday

3.) is the front walk . That was an add on at the last minute. They trashed my gardens .

4.) Is where I have always parked. Finally it is paved. No more walking through water and or mud. I now have to dismantel and raise the garden in front of the house next to the parking. they raised the parking about 18"

5.) shows how much of a mess they have made. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• working backyard (800x530).jpg
    working backyard (800x530).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 347
  • driveway (800x533).jpg
    driveway (800x533).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 337
  • front walk (800x532).jpg
    front walk (800x532).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 349
  • parking area (800x532).jpg
    parking area (800x532).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 352
  • messy (800x530).jpg
    messy (800x530).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
1.) I finally have steps to the laundry room!

2.) We went a little further, and added steps to the decks , which of course need to be redone. Kind of like painting a room, then the furniture looks old. LOL

3.) The guys added a planted box for me to make up for trashing my landscaping

4.) and ....... Tim decided we had to have a fire pit. As long as all the crews and equpiment was there :rolleyes:

5.) additional view

Attachments

• Laundry steps (800x532).jpg
    Laundry steps (800x532).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 338
  • decksteps#1 (800x532).jpg
    decksteps#1 (800x532).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 316
  • planter box steps (800x533).jpg
    planter box steps (800x533).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Dub & Tim  (800x532).jpg
    Dub & Tim (800x532).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 330
  • back fire pit (800x532).jpg
    back fire pit (800x532).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 328
Thanks for the compliments!You have to give credit to the sales guy. LOL. He just kept throwing things out and we kept biting. Axiom Pavers out of Jacksonville has done a top notch job. they still have a few minor touch ups to add on Wed and it will be done. We just can't believe it. We never intended to do all this I just wanted to fix the drive. I appreciate you guys letting me share with you all. Wish you were all close so we could have a great party. We had to cancel our Christmas Eve party because of Maisyn still being in ICU. It just wasn't right to have a party. Maybe for New Years ;)

Today I start the landscaping. I have to pallets of centipede sod calling my name. I want to get giant loriopie (SP) for down one side of the drive. I basically have a plank canvas so anything goes. Can't wait to see what I do. LOL Hope I don't screw this up

I have just the spot picked out. I still have to have some grading and dirt work done but I want your input when I start buying plants. ;)

Preparing the bed is the first priority to create a fast draining soil. Place a sustrate of gravel and then a mix of crushed limestone and course sand, then a layer of well aged sheep manure mixed with sand, course sand and some crushed limestone. Let it all settle.
I'll give you a list of cacti for wet climates to look over and especially where to order from if you do not have a local grower.....

Thanks Ron. Looking forward to the list.
The area I am considering , the paver guys actually filled with 57 stone lime rock so it should drain very well. I have about 1000 lbs of drainage sand they left behind so that will be good too. Now all I need is some manure. I would really like something that will flower. I have to take a picture of the one Lysle gave me that flowers. Not sure what it is called. I am excited to get going on the landscaping. I soded the banks with centipede and hope to seed the rest when I am sure it will stay warm. the weather has been great but we are still in the time when the potential for a freeze is great.

I think Tim is buying me a new camera today so I hope to post pics soon ;)
I actually have 3 areas to pick from and might do all three. Have to really think about this.

Nancie
Remember, most cacti require full sun, so an area that receives at least 8 hours will do!

Since we have NO trees left :( full sun is no problem. I have high dry and sunny spots all over. One garden has a nice blooming cacti in the center and I am thinking I will move all the existing "plants" mostly bulbs and tubers , to new locations. The bed reauires so much water due to it's location they "plants" would be better off somewhere else. So I think it will be the best location for cacti.

My old Sony camera has to be refurbed so Tim bought me a nice Cannon yesterday. I have the basic functions down so maybe I can squeeze off a couple pictures today. Right now the garden has mulch in it but I have a pile of stone that I will use for the ground cover. The bed is pure sand with the exception of the compost I have added when planting new plants. I will post it here later today.
thanks for all your guidence and help Ron. I really want to make this work ;)

Sounds like the perfect spot!
Looking forward to new photos from your Cannon.
Stone mulch is another thing I would recommend as the finishing touch once your get the area planted....

Ron,
Here are the pics of the cactus garden area.
Don't mind all the junk, bench, plant covers , stepping stones and such. The entire yard is a mess. this area is currenty about 12 X 6 but I can make it wider but not longer.
1.) side view of planting area. I will strip out eveything except the present cactus, large rock and the sago.
2.) front view of planting area
Any input on this drive area is appreciated as well. I have so many ideas I can't focus on any one. Tim is not at all interested in helping me make decisions, so I just need some opinions.
3.) &4.) driveway views both directions. This area is about 5 X 300'.
I began planting. I had moved a lot of African Iris from the back and divided and planted them in a small section. Where the Iris end and the drive gets closer to the fence I want to plant small flowering trees seperated by red feather grass. But I want a tree that stays rather smallo, flowers and wont drop all of it's leaves in winter. Camelias were a thought but they do get very large here. Red buds are too prone to disease, hollies get scragely and crapes requier too much pruning and they drop all their leaves. I hope to go nursery shopping next week and see what they have. I should be able to get a pretty good idea how plants will look this time of year.

While I still need to address the back as well, I am going to concentrate on the front for now.

Attachments

• 005 (533x800).jpg
    005 (533x800).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 345
  • front view (800x533).jpg
    front view (800x533).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 324
  • southdrive1 (533x800).jpg
    southdrive1 (533x800).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 345
  • south drive (533x800).jpg
    south drive (533x800).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
12X6 is a good size to start with. At least you have to option to expand it as you become accustomed to cacti gardening.
That is a heathly cactus!! I'll do a seach later to see which species it is.
You will need to keep the cacti area weed free since most do not like competition!
I can picture tall cacti along the wall. Then shorter ones in front of them and short ones along the front.
A mix of different species ( clumpers as well as non-clumpers) will look better and give the area an more natural look. Clumpers will need more space so they can spread out over the years whereas solitary types won't since they grow taller as they mature.....
I recommend you do a search for nurseries that grow and sell cacti in your area.

Thanks Ron. I was palnning a little tour of local places this week. I will google the areas close to me and see if I can find growers. We have lots of Palm growers but I don't think I have seen cacti growers.
The cactus that is there is something my son gave me. His is about 10' tall and blooms beautiful yellow flowers about the size of a soup bowl. The are freeze hardy and seem to just love Florida. I am excited to start an new kind of gardening. Trying to do some X-scaping in the back.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back