Crabber's project folder

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Nancie I have a spineless prickly pear if you would like to try that. I could break off an ear and send to you. They are easy to go here.

Wow great progress on your landscaping project Nancie! Love the pics too as they give us an idea of how it's all coming together. Can't wait to see the new gardens appear!

Ron,
I have a climbing Cereus that blooms pink at night . And yes, this one, also blooms at night and as soon as the sun hits it , the blooms dry up. They are beautiful yellow. The one Lysle has is huge and blooms with 10-20 in a night. I sure hope mine does the same.

Lynn,
That sounds great. Can you also eat the spineless and does it have the purple bloom? Also are they invasive? I have the regular type but they are so invasive I am scared to plant them.

Jonh,
Thanks! Me too! I have a plan of sorts in my mind but seeing it come to fruition is exciting. I need to make some decisions on plantings. I want lots of low maintenance plants with lots of color. I am finding that those with lots of color require more attention. Kind of like flashy women LOL!

Prickly Pears can become invasive if you leave the fruit they produce on the plant. I remove the shiveled fruit off mine .
They also tend to sprawl and can cover a sizeable area in a couple of years.
Some are clumpers and spread slowly.
Others grow upwards rather then outwards and grow into a large shrub, or small tree.
Depends upon the species....

This cactus is edible but I don't, or anyway the neighbors say it is. It is growing more upright in the back yard and then is growing kind of sprawling in the front. If you don't let an ear that gets knocked off lay on the ground it doesn't seem to spread. I don't think it has ever bloomed for me. So don't know about the the fruit. I will get one off to you sometime this week. Have fun with it as it grows fast.

Ron,
I have a climbing Cereus that blooms pink at night . And yes, this one, also blooms at night and as soon as the sun hits it , the blooms dry up. They are beautiful yellow. The one Lysle has is huge and blooms with 10-20 in a night. I sure hope mine does the same.
Jonh,
Thanks! Me too! I have a plan of sorts in my mind but seeing it come to fruition is exciting. I need to make some decisions on plantings. I want lots of low maintenance plants with lots of color. I am finding that those with lots of color require more attention. Kind of like flashy women LOL!

Low maintenance? Maybe you should go for some aussie natives if you can get them. Once established they're very low care, with occasional pruning and nearly all of them flower. As for flashy women...not speaking from experience mind you,;) but I've heard that too!

Ron,
as soon as the Cerus blooms I will get a pic. Right now it is covered as we are having frost and had a rogue freeze about a week ago. They do much better a little further south. Also thanks for the thoughts on the prickly pear. I know when I see them they are always in huge groups. I do have a place it can wonder free;)

Lynn,
Thanks! I had some years ago and I loved them. Here they fruit and we make jelly out of them. But I have only had the ones with thorns . OUCH! We have a large latino populations and they really like them. I am looking forward to having more .

John,
LOL! I know some real Diva's and they are very high maintenance.
If I thought I could get some Aussie plants I would. You guys seem to have the most beautiful flowers.
In just need to get going to the garden centers and see what I can find.

Thanks Lynn! I have the perfect place for it ;)

I took several clumps of giant border grass and seperated them yesterday and begen planting them along the drive. I figure I will need more as I only got about 20 feet with what I had. I spread some grass seed and began cleaning out what will be the new cactus bed. I stalled because I need mushroom compost for the bed the plants wll be going to. Every time I get going something stops me. Off to the Dr. today so nothing will get done. By the time I get home it will be raining :(

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back