Crafts From Recycled Things

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Wow. we have some talented people here. I love the projects..all of them! Thanks for sharing with us.

I remember when my nephew had leukemia, I used scraps of yarn from all of my crochet projects to make small afgans for the hospital where he was, and sent them to my sister in law to distribute around the hospital. It made me feel great to give back a little something, and I hope that it was comforting for the families in some small way. My little nephew didn't make it, but I sure learned alot.
Now I still am a big advocate about sending packages to our troops overseas. My son, Adam, spent a year in Iraq lately, and is probably heading to Afganistan this year, I encourage people to send stuff over, not just to him. He had a big support group at home that sent him things, but he said that everything that wasn't a great comfort or need for the person it was sent to for was set out so that everyone could enjoy it. There are lots of boys and girls overseas that would give anything to have someone who cares about them.
I shouldn't have gotten started on that, as I just got teary.
I want to share the wealth that we have, I was poor as dirt when I made those afgans for the kids with cancer, now I don't do enough. My brother and sister in law are moving back to Buffalo, where my nephew went for his leukemia treatment. I should ask her if she would be willing to distribute some more afgans. I would love to make them.
Sorry, a bit off topic, but something got me thinking about this.

Jade my aunt crochets small afghans for kids for an organization that distributes them to needy sick kids. Her work is beautiful, she also makes little bed jackets for them. If you would like some info on the organization let me know and I will get the info from my Aunt Rita.

Hey all...Sharon and I thought we would split the thread ...With all the great kid projects that were posted...I made another thread for Kid Crafts...Thank again for all the idea's...
Now on with more Recycled Crafts here...:D

It looks like you have some great recyclers/crafters here. Debe' those boxes are adorable. I've been looking for a nice looking box for my seeds. Something I can set out and not be ashamed of. What a great idea to use the seed catalogs. And I have time to do it before I can get back into the garden! TFS everyone.

Bernie...you are welcome for the idea...I also am going to use one of the big boxes for seeds.....I am doing the inside of that one and use a heavier sealer...so I can wipe it out when the need arises...

Have started a New one....

Not sure what I'm going to do with the other one, have a few Ideas though...

Gazing Bowling Ball

This is a new project for "gazing bowling balls" that I usually glue flat marbles onto. Decided to spray paint & paint a picture. Working on 2 yellow at this time.I love the color..its called Sunburst Yellow.
The picture you see is my idea...painted by my DH (with his steady healthy right hand :)
And its a work in progress...adding a few more stars, shading and then a clear coat of polyurethane. Will post a completed pic when its finished:D.
SandiB/Ohio

Attachments

• YellowBB.jpg
    YellowBB.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 332
  • YellowBB3.jpg
    YellowBB3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 344
I should have mentioned...this is same yellow bowling ball...pictures are alittle different angle.
The 2nd yellow bb has flowers & a butterfly etc..more color =)

Post pics of that soon.

SandiB/Ohio

I got the idea from the other site (probably from the famous Sandi B) to use flat glass marbles to cover a bowling ball and use it as a gazing ball. I tried it and it turned out just too cool.

Everyone has such great ideas!!! Debe, I love your boxes!!!!!!!! I think I might try my hand at making some to hold pictures in. Thanks for starting this thread!! Kim

SAndi,
How cool is that. I have 2 bowling balls I have rolling around in the garage. I love to bowl but they closed our alley and the nearest one is just too far. I have one purple marble and one black any ideas?

Sandi....that gazing ball you made is wonderful...and love the idea of marbles on them...I see the old bowling balls at thrift stores all the time..

Crabbergirl..you could paint your bowling ball a solid color and or add pictures..or glue flat marbles. I have done both..my next bowling ball I am spray painting a solid "brilliant gold".
To paint you will need to clean & rough it up w/sandpaper..and prime it w/white, sand again (just rough it up..not taking paint off)..then use color of your choice (2 coats)...when its dry & completed use a clear coat (polyurthane).
To marble you won't have to paint..just choose a marble color that will accent bowling ball color. I use a clear silicone adhesive sealant (Loctite from Walmart about $3)to glue marbles on. You can grout if ya wish..I don't.
Any questions..just ask =)
Have FUN!

Gazing Bowling Balls

Here is the Yellow Sun/Moon/Stars Bowling Ball complete.

And also Blue Bowling Ball done w/clear flat marbles...and a bb done w/black flat marbles.

I have gotten my bowling balls from Freecycle and collected many colors of flat marbles at local Goodwills etc..so not much $$ invested..I do like that :D
And they do look so very pretty in the gardens as a "gazing ball".

Attachments

• shinysunmoonbb2.jpg
    shinysunmoonbb2.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 320
  • blue bb.jpg
    blue bb.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Blackbb2.jpg
    Blackbb2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 339

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back