Crock Pot Recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I thought it would be neat to start a thread for Crock Pot cooking. Please post any if you have them.

Apple Crisp

6 cups cooking apples, peeled, corde and sliced
1/2 cup dry quick oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 Tblsp. margarine, softened
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

Spray the crock of your pot with cooking spray. Place apples in crock. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples. Put the crock in the pot. Place a paper towel over the top before placing the lid on top. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks pretty good. I don't use the crockpot much, but thet one sounds pretty easy too. And I don't have to worry about crust. When I make an apple pie though, I usually make a streusel topping instead of crust. The ingredients are flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? I got the streusel recipe from the box that I got some pre-made pie crusts in.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds great. I have not had great success with the crock pot. I think maybe it is because I have to let it cook so long. If I set something so I can have it when I come home from work it is almost over cooked. I have a tri setting crock but if I use the med. setting it seems to not be done. I can't win. I will be watching this thread to see if someone knows what I have done wrong

sfishergirl

It isn't a recipe per se but we like to put a roast of beef or pork in the slow cooker with a bottle of kraft roasted red pepper marinade dressing

Annette99

Beef stew
Dredge 2#'s beef in flour(london broil or stew beef) brown well in a small amount of oil in a heavy frying pan.
Place in crock pot with 3 cups of water, l can cream of mushroom soup, l envelope onion soup mix and 2 cups of very strong black coffee, cook on medium about 6 hours. Crock pots vary so the timing may be a little different. Add cut up carrots, celery and potatoes if desired during the last hour of cooking, thicken with cornstarch/water mixture, or flour/water misture. I like to add a tablespoon kitchen boquet when its almost done.

Mariposa

I Love my crock pot :) I get up in the morning set my meal and forget about it. It makes great pot roast, and chicken and dumplings.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fiona has used the crockpot here, but she doesn't get the stuff in early enough for it to cook sufficiently. She was balming it on the crockpot, so I clamped my ammeter on the power cord and it was drawing the appropriate amounbt of current. But she didn't like my diagnosis. I'm thinking of using it soon to do some Swiss steak.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
i love my crockpot but i don't like to use it when i'm not home
i only use it on the weekends

Tina

I also love my crockpots. They are great for my cook ahead and freeze meals. You can toss a roast of any kind or chicken in there and season with onions or whatever you like. Cook for several hours. You have a great base for pulled pork or chicken or shredded beef for any such meal as you can think up to use them. Sandwiches with bbq sauce added, enchiladas or burritos. A lot of casserole base product there. Also a great base for soups. But I don't use a recipe so much. Just whatever I am craving at the time. Over-cooked is not such a problem when you plan on shredding it anyway.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com