Dale, this ones for you

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dale, When I read this story I thought of you!

"The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?' I asked the soldier seated nearest to me.

'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan

After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time..

As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks. I'll wait till we get to base '

His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken?'

'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out his hand, an said, 'I want to shake your hand.'

Quickly unfastening my seatbelt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals.

It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life,wrote a blank check made payable to ' America for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."

Jade

Aw, that one made me teary. My oldest son spent a year in Iraq and is going to be deployed to Afganistan sometime within the next year. I am not sure that soldiers know how much many people appreciate their service. Thanks for posting that!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wes you know me too too well. Tears welled in my eyes as I read the heart moving story. We don't do enough for our soldiers. They make me proud to be an American. One of my soldiers that just returned from Afghanistan sent me a vase full of Peruvian lilies. He had already sent me a thank you note. I tried to explain to him all I did for him while he was in Afghanistan was to thank him for helping me keep my freedom.

Thanks for sharing this is a good one for sure. I also agree this does sound like our own Dale what all the work she does for our soliders.

It also made me teary eyed too.

Jade

My Adam went to Fort Benning for his basic training. We went to his graduation...whew, quite a trip from Ontario, but we saw states that I have never been to. Saw some sights, including the smokey Mountains in Tenessee, yikes I spelled that so wrong. I was so proud to see him marching out in his dress uniform. They aren't supposed to show any emotion, but heck, after the ceremony was done I went up and gave him the biggest hug.
I am so not looking forward to him going to Afganistan, but I have great faith that he will come back fine. He is so looking forward to finding the girl for him and having a big family. Since he works in supply work, maybe I have a false sense of security. Oh well, this whole thing has me very emotional, but it is good to get it overwith early, before he leaves. I know that there are so many people overseas that get no care packages. They all share, but I will make sure that Adam gets me some names of guys and gals that get nothing so that we can share with them too. I can't imagine how great it would feel to get a package with your name on it when you get nothing. He is working with the VA at his school, so is taking all of this info in and will help us.
Dale, let me know what I can do to help you in your quest to help the guys overseas. It humbles me, that is a good thing.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jade one of the best rewarding projects I have ever done is to get involved with helping soldiers. One project is making quilt squares to be made into quilts to be given to a fallen soldiers family. Until I got involved I never knew there were soldiers and Marine's that were not getting packages from home. Mostly because the families couldn't afford it. TO me that is unexceptable. I have made water bottle covers and sent with a hot water bottle to a soldier in Afghanisan that was stationed where he didn't have electricity. He volunteered for that 6 month assignment. That same soldier asked for food to be sent to help the family that helped him. They literally didn't have enough to eat. The father of the family of 9 helped dig the trenches for the cable that needed to be laid for communications.

There are websites that you can join to help you become aware of the need. The HugsProject.com is the best group to start with. They send care packages and make neck coolies to send to the soldiers. They are a 501-c-3 group. They even have a group at a prison that helps sew the neck coolies and other sewing projects.

Right now my husband and I only have a couple of soldiers we are sending packages to. You may want to PM KyaD (Dawn) as she still has a lot to send to. One group is a unit of women.

No gift is to small to help. One group is the Soldiers Angel program. You send one or more cards or letters to the wounded brought to Walter Reed Hospital or the long term care group. Each week you get a different list to choose to send a note to.

The list goes on and on. We can not do enough to let our military know they are doing what needs to be done and we appreciate their sacrifices.

Dale, I understand fully what you are saying. When my son was here over Christmas he read the entire thread at GG that I had started..."Son in Iraq". When I first told him that he needed to go on and post a reply he was very hesitant...but after spending 45 minutes reading it, he had a greatful thank you to post. Sometimes I think that we get stuck on ourselves and don't even think about how other people are dealing with their lives. Personally I can't imagine going to Iraq or Afganistan, but I am not the adventurous type. Some of these people joining the armed forces have little or no choice.
Thanks for giving me those sites to check out how I can help.

Thanks for sharing. Thoughts and prayers always for our soldiers. My Dad was a Korean war prisoner for 33 months. He is alive and well at 87.

Annette, Oh my Gosh, I can't imagine what your family must have gone thru at that time. My husbands dad was a medic in one of those wars, sorry I forget which one, it must have been the Korean War, as he would be the same age as your dad at this time. War and I don't mix well and I forget the things that I am told. I think that there has to be a peaceful way to get along, but that isn't the way of the world.
I will keep your dad in my prayers.
J

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Annette God Bless your Dad!!! He is a real HERO!!!
I concur. If he was a prisoner of the North Koreans, he is fortunate to have survived. My former boss's brother-in-law was captured by the North Koreans when his plane went down. He broke both ankles when he parachuted from the plane and he was a prisoner for about two years. All during those years, his ankles were never treated. Once the truce was signed and prisoners exchanged, he was able to have surgery to try and rectify the injuries, but he was never the same again.

My dad was in WW 2. He is 83. The stories he told us was amazing. He did driving for the Generals and High officers. He was in Japan, Korea, and the Phillipians. I have some of the things that he sent my mom when he was there. I made a shadow box from them. I had copies made of their wedding picture, one of me dad by a river in Korea, and one of him and my mom right after he came home. He sent my mom some cards and she kept them. I took them and put them in it and a braclet that he sent my mom from Manila. There were 3 sets of chopsticks, and each one of us 3 girls got a set. I put mine in the box.
When my mom passed away we found this stuff. He didn't even know that she had it. I have 2 sisters and we divided it between all 3 of us. I love my box. My husband always says something about wanting some like that for him, his dad passed away 1 year before my mom. I have talked to his mom about getting some things to put in one for him. I think that I am going to have to remind her though.

I don't know why I said all of that but maybe I have given someone an idea to remember good times. I know that I remember good times when I look at my box!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim that box sounds so special. I can feel the love and passion about what you did. My husband was in Vietnam in 1968 and 1969. He doesn't talk a lot (and never has)talked about what he had to do in Vietnam. He like most veterans are very patriotic. My heart goes out to all the veterans especially the ones that served during war time.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
At 87, it sounds more like he would be a World War 2 vet. I'm 75 and a Korean War vet.
Randy I had no idea you were.. or rather...are a Veteran! Hats off to you and salutes. Thank you dear man for all you did for our country. I can't imagine all you could tell us of that era in time. It would be great to hear some of your recollections of the Korean war.
To know a vet from these past wars is an awesome privilege.
All of our soldiers from all wars are heros. Where would we be without them? I hope they know they are all appreciated and the thanks and gratitude we.. as Americans feel for them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I was there. I was quite young and that's probably a good thing. The truce was signed several months after we left the sea of Japan ending the hostilities. I was in combat situations but it wasn't anything like you see in the movies. I heard a fighter pilot describe his experience pretty well. He said it was hour upon hour of boredom and a few minutes a stark terror. But I cannot even claim the terror. It was more like apprehension. I was inside a gun turret on a destroyer and I could at least see what we were shooting at. My station was pointer. I handled the vertical movement of the guns. The trainer sat on the other side of the mount and handled the horizontal movement of the guns. There were two 5" guns on our mount. Oh, I almost forgot, my ship (USS Epperson) did two combat tours to VietNam before it was decommissioned in 1975. I am going to be able to attend a ship's reunion in May since it's being held in Seattle. I'll be able to see some shipmates that I haven't seen in over 50 years. Many are gone though.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com