Defensive garden plants

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few of the ones on the list, and they can also be used as a 'good neighbor' hedge!
Some of the shrub roses can be used. One particular species is the rugosa which have more then the usual thorns covering the entire stems! I have to use thick leather gloves whenever I'm doing any pruning!
The Sea Buckthorn is another nasty candidate with very sharp spines. I'm growing them for fruit production! The fruit is great for jams and juice!
The only problem with thormy shrubs is that they usually require full sun!

kcb37

I had the same idea.
Planting a rose bush "fence" around my front yard to keep the kids waiting for the bus from messing with my young trees.
Dosen't sound like a bad idea though.

mr_yan

I have a privet hedge that bloodies me up each time I trim it. While it does not have true thorns it has died-back twigs that come off the branches which do the same job. The privet location does nothing to deter people.

I also have some raspberry brambles along my garage. Again the location was not thinking about defensive use.

For you tropics guys look at young citrus. Wow. I had a potted lime tree which had 3" long dagger thorns.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
When Tim and I first got married we lived in an area that was mostly thugs. We had Spanish bayonets under or windows. ;) Natural protection is wonderful

Krish01

Good information, Gardening is my favorite hobby and I also have a garden in my house, I visit it tow times a day morning and evening for collecting fresh air and oxygen, I grow many plants there of different kinds. They also look awesome and beautiful. Now I want to grow carnivorous plants because I love it.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com