Dorothy's Gumbo

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Dor

Oma2 I am finally going to post my recipe. Sorry I took so long but have been under the weather.

Gumbo

1 baking hen or a chicken (The hen makes a rich broth)
3 rings of your favorite smoked sauge ( I use Jalapena, beef, and garlic) sliced in 1 inch rings and cooked on a baking sheet to remove fat
3 pounds large peeled and deveined shrimp
3-4 pounds of crab claws (broken up) or whole blue crabs broken
2 bay leaves
1 bag old bay crab boil
salt and black pepper
red pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
16 oz bag of frozen okra
1 bag Louisiana brand Gumbo mix or Zatarians in the red box if available
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Boil your hen or chicken or chicken parts with salt and black pepper, crab boil, and bay leaves, in a large pot until tender but not falling from the bone. Remove debone and chop into bite sized pieces. Saute okra in oil until slime is removed. Remove the sausage from the oil and add to the broth with the okra. Saute onions and celery in a small amount of oil and add to your pot.
Mix the gumbo mix with water into a thick baste and add to the broth and stir well. Simmer for 15 minutes then add the shrimp. Let cook for 5-7 minutes and add your crab.(cook for about 5 minutes) Taste and add more seasonings as needed but not too much as it will be better the next day.

If you prefer and have the time you can make roux by adding an equal amount of flour to hot oil. Stir continually until it is a dark paper bag color. Do not burn or you will need to start over. Add to your broth and it will have a wonderful color and taste. Add to your broth before adding the shrimp and crab and stir well.

Serve over rice.

It is very good Dawn. My family likes it spicy so add some red pepper too. I forgot to put it in the recipe.

Dor, I thank you for posting this recipe. It sounds lucious! Sorry to hear you were under the weather, just hope that you are better now. I can't wait to make it! Sounds easy enough to do, too.

You are welcome Oma. I am feeling better now. Yes it is pretty easy just a little time consuming, but well worth the time spent to make it. We don't usaually use King crab legs in it but they were on sale and we use 3 pounds of legs broken up. delicious.

Dor,
Yours sounds a lot like mine except I dice and fry bacon to make dark red roux. Oh now you have done it I see a pot of gumbo in my future. Wow it's only 7:15am and I think I need to make pot LOL!

I haven't made the red roux before CG. Post the recipe for us please. I would like to try it. Gumbo is one of my favorite meals the only thing it is hard to find andouille sausage.

Do you make black eyed peas for New Years? I found this great recipe on TV1 by Patty LaBelle called Black eyed pea soup. My cousin tried it and now I plan to make it for my family on Friday. It sounds tasty.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back