Dual question on corn, Please help, I think my corn is ruined!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

redking

I am new to gardening and decided to join because trial and error was getting old and frustrating. I planted a large corn plot but am worried and was hoping for some advice.

1. I watched a youtube video that recommended pulling or cutting off the suckers that grow at the bottom. I did this and they just grew back. Ideas? Opinions?

2. The corn in now about 3-4 feet tall is all and in full bloom, by that I mean the pollen at the top is out and I would think the corn is too short to be pollinating, furthermore, I see very little if any hair for the pollen to pollinate. Is there something wrong and if so what did I do wrong? Not enough water?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure you know how it feels to have all your hard work a patience lost!

I have heard that too about pulling off the suckers, but have never done so. The commercial growers don't bother with them. Corn does need a lot of water. The basic needs are water, good soil, and sunshine. I have seen some puny looking corn though that produced pretty well, depending on the variety.

Hi Red, I've grown corn for years and have never bothered taking the suckers off, ever. It doesn't seem to affect the yield at all, so in this instance I think your crop is fine.
How long has it been since you sowed your corn? I've had tassels by week 8 or 9, and silks a week or two later. How long have you been seeing the tassels? It may also depend on the variety of corn you're growing, they're all a little different. Maybe a little research into the type, eg growth habits, would help? My own experience is that your plants may have been stressed, by infrequent watering or very high temps which can inhibit or even dessicate the silks. Hope this helps you out a little, good luck with your crop.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back