Echinacea propagation.

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jade

I keep wondering that how you propagate echinacea. I know that you can grow it from seed if you don't care if it comes back true to the parent. I am sure that all of these great new cultivars are from Tissue Culture. I am not sure about starting them from cuttings, as, in my many years doing perennial propagation I haven't thought that they were a good canditate. Maybe taking babies off from around the bottom of the plant early in the year would be the way to do it. Personally, me, being the geek that I am, decided to try some of the new Echinaceas last year in my new beds, but I am not impressed with their flower production. I am having an extensive soil test done, as have never found any problems getting Echinaceas to flower.

swindy

Jade I use to just dig them up and split them in the spring when they first started coming up. I never had a problem doing it that way.

Jade

I went to college with a girl from Freehold, I can't remember her name, it will come to me someday.

swindy

Jade I most likely won't know her as I just relocated to this area a couple of years ago. Until as recently as 8 or 9 years ago this was mainly a farming community that was economically depressed, made up of many small family run farms. Then came the building boom and the builders bought up very many of the small farms for a lot of money. Many of the new mini mansions that werebuilt were bought by Wall St. people because we are only 45 min. south of Manhattan. The down town area of Freehold is absolutely beautiful with 100 year old large homes. Before the building boom nobody would live in this area because it was considered a poor area, and there weren't many jobs outside of the farming industry so all these beautiful old mansions were converted into small apartments where the immigrant farm workers would rent. So the down town area is now made up of a community of illegal aliens from Mexico who are very grateful to be living in such beautiful homes on tree lined streets. They do keep the area up and it is pretty safe as there is very little crime committed by the Mexican inhabitants. They are a hard working people and are starting to assimilate into the American way of life, and don't want to return to the poverty of Mexico. They have the same goals as our immigrant parents had and are struggling to succeed here. As little as 5 years ago you didn't see Mexican woman here or in New York, now they are coming in so they are forming families and bring up their children as Americans. As our immigration laws are not being enforced I wish they would lift them so these people can become true productive tax paying people, and add to this country.
I love this area as it is still rural in most of the area with large pieces of land still owned by old time families and small towns. I just wish it was a bit cheaper to live here. Because of the high taxes it is difficult for the young people to buy homes. I know people who are paying $12,000. a year in property taxes, which is not uncommon.
hey Jade sorry to go on so long --- lol

Annette99

I haven't had a lot of luck with the newer echineceas. They only seem to last a couple of years and have not gotten alot of blooms out of them. The standard purple self sow to beat the band for me. The white ones stay true but don'e seem to self sow. I've even bought the white swan seeds and they turned out to be purple. Good luck.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I had one of the purplees back in CA...I wonder if they will do well here...in zone 7...Maybe in contaner?

Gardengoddess

Debe,

Coneflowers grow great in Oregon. I had purple and white in my Milwaukie home that I had started from seed. They thrived and multiplied, not by self sowing but the clumps increased in size. I saw them all over the place here in Iowa last summer and I plan on growing them here as well.

Dora/Garden Goddes

Gardengoddess

As little as 5 years ago you didn't see Mexican woman here or in New York, now they are coming in so they are forming families and bring up their children as Americans. As our immigration laws are not being enforced I wish they would lift them so these people can become true productive tax paying people, and add to this country.

Just a thought...many of the illegal immigrants are paying taxes. They have forged social security numbers so they have taxes taken out of their pay but because the numbers are not legit they can't file tax returns to take advantage of any tax return they might otherwise qualify for if they were citizens.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Jade

I think that we should get off this topic of illegal immigration. I did find out that my old boss here in PA has legitimized his immigrant workers, so that is great. It is a matter of conscience I think. Of the many hundreds of Mexicans that I worked with, only one was legal. Very sad and very much part of the Medical system problem here in the states. I was happy to see my old boss at last years Garden Show and heard that they are working towards rectifying this problem. He now works with a program to make sure that all of their workers are paying their taxes and legally working here. I know that many of the fruit growers around here do hire the seasonal help legally.

Maggie

I had one of the purplees back in CA...I wonder if they will do well here...in zone 7...Maybe in contaner?

Yes they will do well in your zone. They grow in zones 3-8 and some in zone 9.I had some to volunteer and come up in pots last year. I'm in zone 6. There was one in with my pepper and a couple in my tomatoe pot. I figured the birds had dropped the seed. I pulled several of them before I realized what they were. I wasn't expecting any in pots. I'm glad I left them because they were really pretty. They were the purple ones. I hope they will be there again this year along with some white ones. Someone sent the white swan to me in an exchange and I'm sorry but I can't remember who it was. I have saved a lot of seed tho.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Dora and Maggie...thanks...I thought I had seen them around up here, but my brain is a bit short in remembering much any more...

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted some seed last year and I have a plant up this spring. I can't wait to see what color it is. I'm thinking it is purple but now I don't remember.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted some white swan seeds that someone sent me and they bloomed purple. I ordered some raspberry colored ones, i don't remember the name and they bloomed purple so kinda given up having any other color than purple.
I dig them and split them apart to make more plants to plant around the yard or to sell.
Would love to be able to grow some other colors.

Jade

I planted some white swan seeds that someone sent me and they bloomed purple. I ordered some raspberry colored ones, i don't remember the name and they bloomed purple so kinda given up having any other color than purple.
I dig them and split them apart to make more plants to plant around the yard or to sell.
Would love to be able to grow some other colors.
I will let you know how I make out with mine...they were expensive thought and I am not impressed with them. Maybe they just need to get some age to them.

Jade

Jade,

That Big Sky series looks really nice. I have my eye on the Summer Sky cultivar.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Just be careful, don't spend a ton on them, and just start with one, I have not been happy with their performance. I am going to have a soil test done on our yard this year to figure out what is going on with it before I give a final testament on these guys. They are beautiful, but if they don't perform, they aren't worth the money.

Gardengoddess

Thanks for the heads up Jade. I saw them in Blue Stone for 11.95, that is much less expensive than when they first came out.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com