Exasperated with Seedling Progress

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sammyyummy

Hi.
Ive taken up garden recently.
I started sowing easy annuals (zinnias, marigolds, cosmos) and despite my best efforts, I quite do not know what has happened.
My seeds germinated quite well simulating green house (place them in sterile cups, good drainage, backyard soil then covered them). I place them in direct sunlight, weaning them gradually (summer's here are hot, about above 80s, Zone 11). Some of plants grew, then suddenly tipped over with tapered ends on ground surface which I figured was the damping off.

So with the other seedlings, I made sure they were in well aerated areas, watered evenly, waiting for the surface to dry out before watering again 1-2 days later. Also used (chamomile tea, and cinnamon powder on surface).

But the results have been...exasperating. Some have become spindly (despite abundance of direct sun), some have brown leaves or become discolored to yellow-white or mottled white) and some looked mummified (wilted brown dry).

I examined them. No aphids etc. Though in a few, I saw fine gossamers . Probably spider mites so I became vigilant about these - washing the leaves gently, separating the afflicted ones from the non afflicted. Etc.

Regardless, they seem to be turning brown and not thriving well.

I used balanced fertilizers 10-10-10 on them once a week, twice already in some; no fertilizers for others.

The results again are the same: stunted growth, spindly like vines, brown leaves or discolored ones, mottled white in others; while some have literally wilted brown dry.

See pics below. Please shed some light. I do not know what went wrong, what i did wrong and how i could salvage or improve next time.

Thanks

02062012179.jpg

02062012178.jpg

02062012177.jpg

02062012176.jpg

02062012175.jpg

02062012170.jpg

They sure look sad!
You can start zinnias, marigolds, cosmos right in the garden where you want them to grow and bloom!
Starting them in pots using garden soil is not a good idea as you just experienced!
Use a soil-less soil mix made for starting seeds!
Start them in bright shade(cover the pots with plastic wrap after sowing), once they germinate (you can remove the wrap); once they start forming their first leaf you can gradually move them into full sun! By their second or thrid leaf you can plant them out in the gaden!
(DO NOT use fertilizer until you get them in the garden and use half strength water soluable type). All you need to do is keep the soil moist...but not soggy wet. Make sure the pots drain well after watering, and do not rewater until the soil surface looks a bit dry! Keep the pots out of the wind so they wont dry out too quickly, a sheltered spot is ideal!

I also like a small fan going over my seedlings if inside. This keeps the air moving and the plants bouncing around which helps prevent leggyness. You can aalso brush your hand gently over them a fee times a day to simulate this.

If you used a heavy soil you may actually be overwatering them. Some of the good soiless mixes that are good for seeding are pro-mix and fafard mix. You can't usually buy them at walmart or a generic store, but a good garden center should offer a soiless mix for seeding.

Hi there, welcome
I agree with Ron about direct sowing the annuals in your garden where you want them.
Sorry about the seedlings. I really don't have good luck with seedlings either.
They either damp off, get too leggy, or I can't get them to harden off well.
So I am no help at all.

Welcome Sammy,
You mentioned zone 11, is that Florida zone 11?
Ron is correct that you do not need to start them indoors especially in your zone. You have basically a year round growing season and should do very well with direct seeding. If you are in Fl zone 11 , that usually means lots of lime rock and or sand. If you have not already done so you may want to ammend your beds prior to seeding.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back