Favorite cookie recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Meringue Cookies

3 large egg whites, room temperature
1⁄4 t cream of tartar
7⁄8 c splenda (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar)
1 t vanilla extract
1 1⁄2 c finely chopped or ground pecans or almonds
Instructions
Preheat oven 250 degrees. Line two baking pans with parchment paper. Beat egg whites until foamy add cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks. Add Splenda gradually until very stiff. Add vanilla and nuts. Spoon mounds of meringue mixture on parchment paper. After one hour of baking, check and may need to turn pan for even baking. Cookies are done when slightly ivory color and able to lift from parchment paper. When cookies are done turn off oven and leave in oven a couple of hours to dry. Store in air tight container.

I also have a cinnamon sugar pecan that I use Splenda with if you interested. Hope you enjoy.

I guess I should scroll down!!!

Meringue Cookies

3 large egg whites, room temperature
1⁄4 t cream of tartar
7⁄8 c splenda (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar)
1 t vanilla extract
1 1⁄2 c finely chopped or ground pecans or almonds
Instructions
Preheat oven 250 degrees. Line two baking pans with parchment paper. Beat egg whites until foamy add cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks. Add Splenda gradually until very stiff. Add vanilla and nuts. Spoon mounds of meringue mixture on parchment paper. After one hour of baking, check and may need to turn pan for even baking. Cookies are done when slightly ivory color and able to lift from parchment paper. When cookies are done turn off oven and leave in oven a couple of hours to dry. Store in air tight container.

I also have a cinnamon sugar pecan that I use Splenda with if you interested. Hope you enjoy.

Hey Dale, I would love to have the recipe for the Cinnamon Sugar Pecan. And any other splenda recipes you have!! I have diebetes and have a friend that does. Kim

I don't do many cookies. When all the grandchildren are home, a double batch will hardly last 24 hours. When I do make them though, I make the oatmeal/raisin cookies that have the recipe under the Quaker Oats lid. I also make a sugar cookie that I got from "Good Old Days" magazine. Then there is my all-time favorite, Snickerdoodles. But it has been probably 6 or 7 years since I made any of them. I don't eat the cookies anyway. The most is will have of a batch is one cookie. I wonder if I made them with Splenda if the grandkids would eat them so fast. LOL

I don't do many cookies. When all the grandchildren are home, a double batch will hardly last 24 hours. When I do make them though, I make the oatmeal/raisin cookies that have the recipe under the Quaker Oats lid. I also make a sugar cookie that I got from "Good Old Days" magazine. Then there is my all-time favorite, Snickerdoodles. But it has been probably 6 or 7 years since I made any of them. I don't eat the cookies anyway. The most is will have of a batch is one cookie. I wonder if I made them with Splenda if the grandkids would eat them so fast. LOL

Hey Randy, dont count on them lasting any longer. I have had some experience with that. LOL!!!! I have a recipe that you might like. I will get it out and post it. Kim

Okay, I'll be looking for it. I use that magazine I mentioned to read to the folks at a nursing home. It's got great stories in it and I have picked up a few old favorite recipes from it also. One of the stories one time was about "fried pies" that some mother made. Well, my mother made fried pies when I was young, so that really brought back memories. I don't think I saved the recipe, but I still have all the magazines. I would not make any of the fried pies for myself though. And the grandkids probably don't need them any more than I do. LOL They are all quite thin though as they seem to run off the calories they ingest.

How funny! I have a recipe somewhere for "Fried Pie Dough". My grandma used to make them all of the time when I was little. I liked the apricot ones!! Oh, this brings back memories!!!

Okay, I'll be looking for it. I use that magazine I mentioned to read to the folks at a nursing home. It's got great stories in it and I have picked up a few old favorite recipes from it also. One of the stories one time was about "fried pies" that some mother made. Well, my mother made fried pies when I was young, so that really brought back memories. I don't think I saved the recipe, but I still have all the magazines. I would not make any of the fried pies for myself though. And the grandkids probably don't need them any more than I do. LOL They are all quite thin though as they seem to run off the calories they ingest.

Here is the recipe for the cookies. I got it from my sister-in-law.

Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 c. Crisco shortening, (butter flavor is best)
1 c. sugar
1 c. Splenda
3 Tblsp. molasses
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

Cream all of the above ingredients together.

1 c. unbleached all purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (fresh ground is best)

Combine all dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Combine until blended thoroughly.

Then stir in: 2 cups oatmeal.
Add ins:
1 c. chopped nuts of your choice, 1 c. coconut, 1 c. dried fruit of your choice, 1 cup of chips of your choice (i.e. choco, white choco, butterschotch, cinnamon, whatever)

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven, on cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray, for 8 to 10 minutes.

You don't have to add all of the add ins if you don't want to. I like the nuts, coconut, and fruit. I made some with coconut, pecans, and pineapple!!! Yummy!

Okay, I got it. I should make that and keep quiet about the Splenda and see if the grandkids say anything about the taste. If the cookies are still around after a couple of days, they won't have to say anything. But I could take that recipe and make some cookies for my weekly visit to the nursing home. I would bounce it off the dietician though just to be safe. I know there are some diabetics there. I took some of my jam made with Splenda and turned it over to the dietician to dole out to the residents. I have also given her some regular jam to take home with her. Got a hug for that!

Okay, I got it. I should make that and keep quiet about the Splenda and see if the grandkids say anything about the taste. If the cookies are still around after a couple of days, they won't have to say anything. But I could take that recipe and make some cookies for my weekly visit to the nursing home. I would bounce it off the dietician though just to be safe. I know there are some diabetics there. I took some of my jam made with Splenda and turned it over to the dietician to dole out to the residents. I have also given her some regular jam to take home with her. Got a hug for that!

I bet you got a big one for that!!! My husband loves jam. I certainly would like to have some recipes for jams made with splenda. I am going to get some fruits this year to make some with my daughter. She wants me to show her how. We both want to make with splenda. I was going to search online for recipes. The tried and true ones are the best. I want to get strawberries, blackberries, peaches, and apricots. My husband works with a lady that brings him fruit during the summer. :)

I guess I have to admit now to further surprises. I put a couple of small jars of jam in that parcel that are made with Splenda. There is no sugar added, but there is of course some fructose in the fruit. The Splenda jams don't keep as well as regular jams, so once opened, you should use them in a week or two. That's why I put them in only 8 ounce jars. The two Splenda jams are pear and Boysenberry. The third jar is regular blueberry jam. The recipes for the Splenda jams are included in the box of pectin when you buy the box. I don't know what the difference in the pectin is, but it is different in the labeling on the box.

I guess I have to admit now to further surprises. I put a couple of small jars of jam in that parcel that are made with Splenda. There is no sugar added, but there is of course some fructose in the fruit. The Splenda jams don't keep as well as regular jams, so once opened, you should use them in a week or two. That's why I put them in only 8 ounce jars. The two Splenda jams are pear and Boysenberry. The third jar is regular blueberry jam. The recipes for the Splenda jams are included in the box of pectin when you buy the box. I don't know what the difference in the pectin is, but it is different in the labeling on the box.

Bless your heart. I feel very blessed to be your friend!!!

Well, you are certainly welcome. There was a lady on the other forum that asked me once if I had sugar-free jams and I had to tell her no, but she did get me to thinking and I bought some of that special pectin and read the instructions. I tried the recipe and it turned out well. My wife is not diabetic, but she does try to minimize her sugar intake. She gave me her stamp of approval also. I would like to see Sue, she went by the name of PiggySue on the other forum, pop in here too. I did tell her about it, but she hasn't come over. I did send her some of the "no sugar added" jams and told her that she had turned me on to a good thing.

Kim's Oatmeal Cookies

I took a bag of the oatmeal cookies in to the nursing home today and they were a hit. I knew they would be though as I ate a couple of them yesterday. I had a small bag of pecans in the refrigerator and I chopped those up and added them to the dough along with a cup of Nestle's Butterscotch Chips. Makes a pretty awesome cookie.

My youngest daughter is going to the Strawberry Festival the first week in April with her friends at work. I am going to try to send enough money with her to get 2 flats. I want to make strawberry perserves so would appreciate a couple of good recipes. I need to get some half pint jars when I go to Arkansas in a couple of weeks or will look at WalMart. Biglots didn't have any canning jars only lids.

Oatmeal raisin and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies are my 2 all time favorite cookies.

Oatmeal raisin and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies are my 2 all time favorite cookies.

Dale, try this recipe with white chocolate and macadamia nuts instead of pecans. So good! :D ;)

Randy, I am so glad they liked them! :)

Kim, the dietician on staff there asked me for the recipe and one of the caregivers did also. The receptionist asked for it too, but she has access to a copier there in her office, so she copied the one I took the caregiver. One lady around the table told me three or four times how good the cookie was. Maybe she forgot that she had told me as she has Alzheimers. But she remembered enough to know the cookie was good. I intend to take them more treats as this turned out so well. I was thinking I might take in some biscuits and splitting them and spreading some jam on the halves and passing those out. I'll have to ask the dietician before I try that though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back