Favourite Christmas recipes....

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Jules

'tis the season folks - so why not share some of your favourite Christmas creations with the rest of us? I am always open for new suggestions myself! I don't do much baking for the holidays, as hubby and I don't need it....but if something special pops up here, I might be forced to try it out!

brassi

Quick Jelly is easy to make and wonderful to give for chirstmas. This recipe makes enough jelly to fill one case of 4 ounce jelly jars

1 case of Ball-- 4 oz jelly jars

1 pkg Ball fruit Pectin or Sure Jell

64 ounces of Jar/can juice(NOT pineapple)

4 cups sugar

In the pectin package is instructions--"Sure Jell" it is called quick jelly.

First step

Place all empty jars & lids in a big(stock pot) of water and heat close to boil, slowly

{I put a dish towel in the bottom of the pot-- so the glass dosen't bang and crack against each other} This sterilizes the jars.

In another big pot , I put the juice and sugar-- heat LOW! stir till sugar melts. Add pectin and follow instructions on the package. Skim the top of the liquid to take off any foam-- disgard the foam.

Carefully take out the hot jars, fill with liquid to the rim mark. Place lids on tight! When all jars are filled- replace back in the hot bath in big pot-- leave the jars in the hot water for 20 minutes. Remove the jars- turn upside down and let cool over night.

The next day-- up right the jars and make sure the center lids are on tight-- and when you press on the top of the center lid,, it dosen't make a burping sound-- if it does make that sound-- it didn't seal. IT IS ok to use the jelly from that jar,, just keep it in the frig!

Jellies properly sealed, can be stored on a shelf for over a year and it is still OK to eat.

With this quick jelly method-- I can make 3-6 cases of jelly in a day.

Do not use Pineapple-- the jelly will not thicken!

NEVER.....NEVER make jelly on a humid day-- it also will not jel.

I love using juicy juice, grape, pear, orange or even left over wine. ALot of time I mix herbs with my juices for neat new flavors. I adore redwine and rosemary. or pear and mint,or grape and thyme. Expermint and have fun!

I have also used "Ball Fruit Jell-- no sugar" and made the quick jelly with splenda

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love to make the Russian Tea Mix. Will have to post the recipe when I get home , I think I remember it but don't want to mess anyone up. I have antique blue glass canning jars both with snap lids and zinc & glass lids. I like to fill those with the mix and give them as gifts. They come back everyear to be refilled.
Now my salsa I love to make and I found a short cut. It's so easy
1 can tomatoes with green chilis
1tsp garlic powder (I like to use fresh if I have it)
1 small dice fine onion
1Tbs fine chopped cilantro
salt
lemon juice
mix together let sit and serve. You can add Velveta and microwave for a creamy cheese dip but you have to drain the juice first. You can even add crumbled cooked sausage to the cheesy dip and it's almost a meal. Yummy!

brassi

cranberry and cherry sauce
1 bag fresh cranberries
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 cup white sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Place everything in a large pot and slow cook till the sugar melts, cook for 35 minutes on low till the cranberries *pop their juices out* and the cherries rehydrate. Chill over night and serve.
I love this on pancakes, french toast, muffins, toast or hot cereal. It;s also not bad on vanilla ice cream

swindy

If anyone has a recipe for Corn Pudding I would love to have a copy. A girlfriend of mine made to most delicious corn pudding but was very protective of the recipe, always promising to give it to me one day. Well she took it to her grave before having a chance to share the recipe with me

S

Sproutling

Looking for pumpkin /squash recipes

Here is one my daughter and I did years ago just out of curiousity
It was a hit!

I threw the seed from a Butternut Squash that my MIL bought for my daughter into a large pot and ended up with one beautiful Butternut Squash Plant that gave but one Squash . Good thing I didn't have the heart to throw the seed in the garbage!

Better Than Pumpkin Pie
It's butternut squash! But it does taste like pumpkin!

Ingredients:
1 cup cooked butternut squash
1 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
One egg, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (9-inch) pie crust

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

In an electric blender, or food processor mix butternut squash, brown sugar, cornstarch, egg, milk, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.

Bake in a preheated (approx 10-20 mins) 350-degree oven for 50 minutes, or until a table knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.

Recipe makes eight servings.

I also tried 1/2 cup cooked pumpkin along with the 1/2 cup butternut squash.

Turned out fine..

I would like if any one knows..
Pumpkin butter recipe!
My daughter will be thrilled!

Also does anyone know how to cann pumpkin?
I have many pounds that need to be stored even after we make our pies breads and what have yous...

Sproutling...:D

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
pumpkin is easy to freeze kale
do you have a blue book of canning
search on the net too

S

Sproutling

I have a The Blue Ball Book somewhere,Been looking for it:( I put it in a safe place and don't know where...:(
Do you have to use plastic containers to freeze?
No certain what I can I use?

For your interest now that we have snow season.

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/pk08/index.html

Sproutling:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use zip lock plastic freezer bags for almost everything I freeze. Be sure and squeeze out all the air before zipping tight.

K

Kale

Hi :)

Did you get to peek at the link I added to Sproutlings last post:)

They are the colors I had for a minute here in "Great Lakes" Mi.

Kale:)

M

Mari-Jo

Creamy Cranberry Salad

3c. fresh cranberries coarsly chopped

1 can crushed pineapple

1 med. apple chopped

2C. mini marshmallows

2/3c.sugar

1/8 tsp salt

1/4c. walnuts

2c. whipped cream

Combine all ingrediants ....except whipped cream.
Fold in whipped cream just before serving......:)

To whip cream, add teaspoon of sugar, and one cap of vanilla

Last edited by a moderator:

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I love to make the Russian Tea Mix.!
One of my favs also...also know as Mexican Wedding Cakes...
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remainin

Melt in your mouth

shinekeeper

My nephews beg me to make my punch for Christmas...this year they "demanded" we add it to Thanksgiving dinner. It's funny to me because it couldn't be simpler, but it is very refreshing.

Into a large punch bowl pour:

1 - 64 oz. can of pineapple juice, chilled

Take a half gallon of rainbow sherbet and dip scoops into juice.

Pour a chilled 2 liter bottle of 7-Up over the sherbet and it will foam up.

That's it! So simple. The 12 of us go thru about 2 batches of this every time.

P.S. Sometimes I put a drained bottle of red and green marachino cherries or a large can of drained mandarin oranges in.Very tasty....but then you have to be careful someone doesn't choke to death!!

Last edited:

swindy

This is a Dip ( or Spread ) I alway make for parties and everyone loves it

Pineapple Cheese Spread

1 16oz. can of rushed pineapple, drained
2 8oz.pkg. softened cream cheese
2 Scallions, chopped
1 green pepper,chopped
1/2 tsp. onion salt
3/4 cups chopped pecans

Combine all ingredients and chill. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and serve with crackers.

Very easy and a crowd pleaser

M

Mari-Jo

Everything sounds soooo goood..........hec, whats a few extra pounds at Christmas.................:D

swindy

Everything sounds soooo goood..........hec, whats a few extra pounds at Christmas.................:D

Just remember you will have all winter to work those extra Christmas pounds off before summer, chopping wood in the winter, tilling the flower and vegie beds in the spring ---you'll be ready for the binki come June :rolleyes:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com