Fern Propagation?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a huge sword fern in my front yard. I used to have several, but most died out during the hot dry summer a year or two ago.

I'd like to replace the ones that died off.

Is there an easy way to propagate them from the big one? I think I can dig it up and divide it, but I really don't want to do that since it's doing so well and I'd rather not disturb it.

Are there any other methods? It's not like buying some at the local nursery would be expensive, but just wondering if I can use the one I already have.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never had ferns so not sure. I'm sure someone on here has ferns that can help ya Bob.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know but I have a Boston fern that I need to do something with. It is getting too big for it's pot and I really don't want a bigger pot for it since it comes in and out of the house. So let me know if anyone has an idea how to solve my problem.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Lynn, as far as potted ferns, I've always just divided them and root pruned them and they seem to do fine. In fact they usually seem to come back stronger.

But maybe there's a better way. ;)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be working on it as soon as school is out. I will try dividing it and repotting the only thing is I don't know if I want to bring two in the house in the winter.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com