Forum Friends?

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I've gotten a few friends requests and I have accepted those request but I don't know what the status of friend means here in the forum world.

What is a forum friend? :confused:

Dora/Garden Goddess

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Dora
I think it's so you can see if any of your friends are online but you can see that by looking at who's on line. Not sure if it's for anything else or not. Will have to wait for someone else to come along.. Maybe Bob can shed more light on this.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that it does much of anything really useful. As Laurie mentioned, I think when you look at "who's online" your friends show up a bit differently, they have a + sign beside the name or some such. Maybe that's for old farts like me who can't recall what their friends user ID is?

Other than that, it's just another social networking thing. The way I think it would most often be used is if I'm reading your profile, and like what you post, I might click on people you show as friends and then view their profile and posts or photos etc. Just a way to help folks browse the site.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
makes it easier to PM ...It is kinda like the buddy list we had on old GG...wish there was a way to hide so more for your own use...

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bob, I still haven't been able to respond to requests for "friend" status. I poked around in my firewall program to see if I could find something about blocking cookies, but to no avail. When I did try to respond, it boots me off until I log in again. It does the same thing if I try to use the "quick reply" box.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I still haven't been able to respond to requests for "friend" status. I poked around in my firewall program to see if I could find something about blocking cookies, but to no avail. When I did try to respond, it boots me off until I log in again. It does the same thing if I try to use the "quick reply" box.
You're blocking something, either cookies or scripts etc. I'm not really sure what though... When you use the regular reply, do you have to log in again?

I don't like the idea that everybody can see you're friends. It would be nice if it was just a personal thing. So I'm refusing all friends even if they are friends as I don't want to offend anybody in refusing. Does that make any sense to you. It does to me. :eek: I just can't see adding someone to your friend's list if you don't know them and, like I said, I don't want to offend. :) I think my friend's know who they are.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure that's true too, Sash. I had heard the term 'buddy list' on GG, but I never did look into it or know what it was all about. I also heard that you could block messages from someone too, but I never did look into that either. There may be times when that might be helpful, but if relations get to where I have to block someone, it isn'y likely that I would hang around.

woodstock

I never used the buddy list myself.....as sash said, my buddies know who they are.....and I can look at the bottom to see if they are on...or not.....

I like the friends option

The way I think it would most often be used is if I'm reading your profile, and like what you post, I might click on people you show as friends and then view their profile and posts or photos etc. Just a way to help folks browse the site.
That is a good indicator Bob - and the pop-up contacts list is helpful. ;) Plus, anyone I accept as a friend is going to be someone I think is also a trustworthy trader. :rolleyes:
Plus I need to know when Kym is online so we can play. :p

Well, I've accepted a few friends, and haven't denied anyone...but I doubt I will use the option for anything! I understand what Sash says and never really thought about it like that. I was just blundering around when I came to this site and did it...no big deal either way to me.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well good to know I wasn't the only one who didn't know what the "friend" feature was for lol!

Dora/Garden Goddess
Don't feel too bad... This software is very feature rich. There are lots of options and settings and variables. It can do stuff that even I'm not sure what it is or how it works.

That's what I like about Vbulletin, they're very responsive to customer requests. They constantly update and improve the software. Sometimes somebody will request a feature and they'll add it, even though many forums don't really need that option.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com