Frost 3 mornings in a row...can I bring Poppy Pods in to dry

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

desi95

I need to know if I pick my poppy pods while they are still green and hang them to dry ,will the seeds be viable ?? This is my first year growing poppies and I absolutely love them. I am concerned they will not self sow in zone 3. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Desi!
Welcome to our forum!
Since your question is about seeds I'll leave one of your posts here!
You only need to post once!
Are the poppies annual, or perennial?
It doesn't really matter which, since they are all treated the same way.
Leave the pods on the plant until they begin to turn a tan color then you can pick them to finish the drying process indoors, cut them with a long stem and place them upside-down in a paper bag. I tie mine in the basement so they hang with the bag attached to catch the seeds as they fall out of the pods!
In a few weeks check them and give the pods a good shake to release the left over seeds still in the pods! Then you can store the seeds for the winter.
The pods lend themselves well in dry floral arrangements!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back