Gardening For The Health of It

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
What can I say, there are so many benefits to gardening, from the exercise you get, to the beauty that clams, to the wonderful food you can produce.
As an organic gardener , many things come to mind about "Gardening For The Health of it". The foremost is staying organic to reduce risk of cancer and chemical born diseases.But what about the other things derived from gardening.If you are a health minded person these come as natural thoughts, but for those who simply want a garden they may not realize the "whole body" benefits.
Studies have proven much like pets , gardens provide lower blood pressure and better circulation. The bending you do during hoeing, planting, weeding , stimulate endorphines that reduce aging! Now I always thought I was getting older in the garden when actually I am standing still in time. If I could just figure out how to stay in the garden all the time I would be on to something.LOL!

The pourpouse of this post is to find out if you feel significant positive results , other than producing food, from gardening. And if so is this something that is merely a passing hobby or is this a lifestyle you have chosen to commit to for life? This inquiring mind wants to know.

Kya D

That is so very true.
I do get excerise, kneeling, crawling, knee bends etc.
But I think that it is a job well done feeling you get when you and a higher power can take a seed and make a beautiful flower or food for your family.
As far as I am concerned it is so gratifing to get dirt under your nails.

Last edited:

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do all of it for something. It is a calm place to go when the world get to me. I like the exercise I get and the fact that my health improves when I can get into the garden. Pulled weeds last weekend and after the soreness went away I woke up this morning feeling better. It is amazing to me that the garden uses muscles I don't use at the gym or walking.

Bluewolf

Lynnie...I don't garden the veggies but I do do flowers

I get satisfaction from having a reason to be outside (besides mowing)

I can't bend like I used to but still manage to get some things done
I have a mat that if I need to do some serious weeding in one spot
I plop down on my butt and just weed from there
I also have alot of nifty hand tool that if I need to do some digging I can use instead of hauling out the big shovel

I also love all my colors and the compliments I get from passers by

I do manage to get some excercise out of it but mine is more of a yoga type perspective since I don't bend I do alot of"stretching" which helps my back alot
plus when there is only light work ot be done..it is very calming and helps me to cleanout my head I have something to keep my body doing something while my "prcessors" are working overload

Mine is not a passing hobby..I have been gardening since I was 5 with my first little pansy patch :D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is so very true.
I do get excerise, kneeling, crawling, knee bends etc.
But I think that it is a job well done feeling you get when you and a higher power can take a seed and make a beautiful flower or food for your family.
As far as I am concerned it is so gratifing to get dirt under your nails.

Exactly, so a health benefit would also be a sense of a job well done and accomplishment, which makes you feel good!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do all of it for something. It is a calm place to go when the world get to me. I like the exercise I get and the fact that my health improves when I can get into the garden. Pulled weeds last weekend and after the soreness went away I woke up this morning feeling better. It is amazing to me that the garden uses muscles I don't use at the gym or walking.

I feel the same was about the muscles, especially the glutes! Nothing like a good day in the garden to tone the buttox!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is not a passing hobby..I have been gardening since I was 5 with my first little pansy patch :D

I agree with all of your statments. And I too had an early statr in the garden. My mom was a flower gardener such as you. And we had beds everywhere. You could never say you were bored at our house cause she would put a bucket and a weed digger in your hand and tell you now you aren't. I dug more weeds than I do now. LOL!
I think if you are born into it , it is natural like us, if you start later , you can come to love it but may not stick with it.

Dor

When I am gardening besides getting the needed exercise I am at peace with myself and I can be closer to God and what he can made and provided for us. We are taking it and making it beautiful. I am so sore today but I know by Friday I will feel better and my yard will look better and the compliments from my neighors and passerbys will make it all worthwhile. A neighbor two houses down came over yesterday and told me my yard looks really nice.

I am trying to go all organic. This is my 2nd year to have a full raised garden, last year my harvest was not plentiful but I pray this year is better. I am not giving up. I love being outside and seeing the fruits of my labor. I am not able to do much bending either but as Blue states I get to do lots of stretching. I bring out my lawn chair if I have to pull weeds for an extented period, then I just sit and pull away. Using compot and manure has really helped the condition of my clay soil so pulling weeds is earlier. My mental health is a lot better when I can get ourside and work in my flowers and veggie garden also. Through prayer and gardening depression has taken a back seat in my life and I am not taking the medication anymore.

This is great CG being able to share with each other the Healthful benefits of our gardening.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor,
Thanks. I was in hopes that it would make us all think about why we actually garden. We each have our reasons and ways and it is nice to share as we might learn a little something along the way. I do a lot of praying in the garden. Not just for the garden either.
My favorite time in the garden is very early in the morning, the birds are all waking up, and the sounds are just awesome. It does my mind, good , whcih in turn makes my soul happy, which in turn has a postivie effect on my body!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like sunrise in the garden when the day is first waking up. I like to see the dew on the plants and see what is getting ready to bloom. I also like the calm that the garden gives my soul.

farmerlon

Yep, nothing like it!
I guess the treadmill at the gym works for some folks... but I would much rather spend the day "working out" in the garden.

Organic gardening combines positive EXERCISE and positive NUTRITION !:)

blackdove

Going around the garden for whatever reason - checking new blooms, cuttings, deadheading, or just tidying always cheers me up.
I also read somewhere that a daily dose of 20 minutes in morning sunlight keeps depression at bay. So yep, gardening's good for (mental and psychological) health!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I try to walk my garden before work everyday. Now that the sun is up at 5:45 am and not down until 8:45 pm I get to spend time before and after work. I would rather be there than anywhere, the garden that is , not work :D

Wombat

If I've had a bad day I just take a wander around and occasionally just sit and listen to the birds and watch the various insects rummaging around in the flowers. It's a peaceful haven for me....I also take a walk around it before work, albeit a quick one in winter!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree John, sometimes I like to take my coffeee out in the morning and just sit and listen. The birds, the bees and frogs have a symphony of great sounds. Except for the frog on the deck outside my bedroom all night long. I am thoroughly convinced he had a MEGAPHONE!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like to sit on my deck and eat my breakfast. I can see all of the backyard and enjoy it.
Today I got a work out by doing the yard work. I don't mind doing it and I feel better after I have it done. I like a nice yard. I really enjoy the grass here and I love to walk barefoot in it.
Here are some pictures of my flowers

Attachments

• P5070056.JPG
    P5070056.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 371
  • PB200011.jpg
    PB200011.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 369
  • P2260025.JPG
    P2260025.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 376
  • P5040053.JPG
    P5040053.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 383
  • P5070055.JPG
    P5070055.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 383

Jade

I am enjoying gardening now that my hip isn't aching anymore. I can't kneel for the rest of my life, but do lots of bending. I have some weeding to do, hoping for a cool cloudy morning this week to get it done.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very nice Lyn! Love looking at other's gardens!

I always over do it.....one thing leads to another...then the next.....and things I forgot to get to...

Wombat

Great pics Lyn, beautiful colours! I was going to spend the day in my yard but it's decided to rain, which is strange for June. I'll probably do some pruning in my rainforest area between showers as it need a little tidying up.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com