Gardening For The Health of It

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you do hear about the test results for Tim, Nancie? and when does he go back to the drs for more testing, etc.??

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for thinking of him, We go to the Dr. on Thursday Aug 2. for the blood test results, about 6 different pages of labs. At that time they are scheduling a brain scan and lung x-rays. It seems a little back wards to me but I think they have to follow some protocol for insurance. He had 2 really bad days Sunday and Monday, but today seems to be ok for him.

I have decided I need to do something about my fences, such as use the gate! I got my toe stuck in the top of the fence and I toppled over. So this is your "Gardening For The Health of It" tip of the day....USE THE GATE. LOL! too old to take those short cuts ;)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
omg I can see you hopping the fence and catching the toe and going down nose first. lol thank you for the image.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
topple over;
yes, I am sure glad I can give you a giggle:D boy did I feel silly. The fence is 24" so I thought no problem. I actually did a little dance trying to recover before my crash to the ground. The worst part is the little cut between my toes. I had flip flops on that was the first mistake:p

Dengue fever
Not sure I have ever heard of that. Is it called by another name as well?

Jade

I have been such a spaz for a long time because my balance has been way off with my hip joint being in such bad shape. Amazing how much less spazy I am since everything is level now. When you are all out of balance it affects everything in your life. And now my sciatic pain is gone too...it was all due to the hip. And my discs in my back don't hurt anymore. Just a little arthritic pain in my L5 vertabrae. Other than that NO PAIN!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jill what an awesome blessing. Funny how one part can stop you from being physically "normal". I guess we are a lot like cars. If you have one spark plug not working right it causes all kinds of problems. Glad you got a new part and a tune up :D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Ron.This may very well be something I Should bring up to the Dr. if we don't get concrete answers.
GM insects nice. I fully expected to see the name Monsanto connected to that. After reading that it comes back to me, Dengue is not as common here as equine encephalitis - west Nile. With world travel so common now days these diseases spread where they wouldn't ordinarily be. I don't like the pesticides but also don't want anything GE or GM. You just never know what the consequences of messing with nature will be.

Wombat

Unfortunately we also get Dengue fever in the northern part of my state. At the moment though a new vaccine is being trialled in Thailand which has protected people from 3 of the 4 strains of dengue. Hopefully this will be available soon when the trials are completed.
Nancie don't get me started on Monsta santo...that's what it's called over here.....they've done a lot to be held accountable for.....all in the name of profit and hang the consequences!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amen John! I agree, they have done more than 10 companies put together and they try to ram it down our throats as something good for us.
Did you ever watch the video mr_yan posted called "Back to Eden" ? it has some great information on gardening without chemicals and pesticides. Really a good video.

Wombat

No I've not watched it yet...will do so. Monsanto have been sued privately a number of times over here for contaminating organic crops. The state govt's. are slow to react as they seem to favour the GM crop for some reason...political donations maybe? They also tried to sue a farmer for growing "their" gm crop when the gm canola plants were detected on his property amongst his own crop. The only stipulation for growing a gm crop is that it has to be about 15-18ft from the boundary of an adjoining property. This is ridiculous as a bee can transport pollen for miles at a time......oh well dunno who dreamed that figure up but planting the same crop adjacent to a gm crop will always result in cross pollination.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually saw a video on the law suit and I believe it is in the "Food Inc." documentary also. The sad thing is that it boils down to control and you are right , the political donations play a very large roll in what gains speed in society. Most people don't take the time to educate themselves on their own. They tend to believe what is produced by government and publicized by the media. If something sounds too good to be true , then you can bet it is. At what risk do we continue not to stand up for ourselves and our planet? Society as a whole is complacent and lazy and that's why Monsanto has the control it does.
SAVE YOUR SEEDS! In the future it maybe the only pure food you have;)

Wombat

Well put Nancie! I save as many of my seeds as possible. I've also found a number of sources nearby that supplies both organic and heirloom fruit and veggie seeds. I also belong to the seeds savers network here and they do a great job. I also grew purple heirloom carrots one year, as you probably know, this was their original colour. I won't grow any of the F1 or hybrid varieties as they are programmed not to reproduce viable seed, so that you have to buy more next year and the year after that......ad infinitum.:rolleyes:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are right John. So many people are not awae of that fact. I try to save generational seeds I have plants that are from my own line of seeds 4 + years organic. Now I like that as I know what I have.

the one thing I can't say enough is to know what is going in your garden. Any mass produced product has a chance for contamination. While the intentions maybe good, and the label may read well , you just never know. If Monsanto is connected to it , I will never trust it.

Garden Health Tip of the week;
As we work in the garden , especially in hot weather, it is very common to have a drink with you. You should keep a cover on your drink when not using it. The most common issue with uncovered drinks is insects. Sweetened drinks draw wasp, bees, and other flying insects. A wasp or bee sting to the lips or tongue can be catastrophic for some people. Never leave a canned drink unattended. I like the Tervis tumblers with the screw on lids and straws. I use a cloth to cover the straw so insects won't go in , but in addition the Tervis keeps your drink cool longer.
Just one gardeners thoughts;)

Wombat

Nice to see what you're doing in your little patch too Nancie! Oh yes I agree about the mass produced seeds, won't go anywhere near them. They grow beautifully most times but something that does not produce seed isn't natural and has been tampered with by man to "improve it'' Good advice re: the sweet drinks, I only have water outside in a bottle with a screw cap lol.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get antsy this time of year especailly when we have had weather that disrupted the growing season. the garden is mostly empty so I am trying to do maintenance, but I did just have to throw out some seeds :rolleyes:

I mostly only drink water as well sometimes a little sweet tea but I know those who drink soads and that's really when the insects invade.

Wombat

Oh yeah anyone who drinks sweet stuff outdoors is asking for it lol. I also threw out some seed last year as it expired in 2008! Guess what? Nearly all of them came up...luckily I chucked them on a garden bed, they were mostly tomato seeds I'd saved over the years, It was fun seeing what type came up and I was amazed at the seed still being viable. It was early autumn when I did it so I had a lot less insect probs and consequently toms all through the winter lol.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com