Gardening with Hydrogen Peroxide

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

very interesting Dizzy, never heard of such a thing, but now am interested to try it on some of our vegs when I plant them to see, if there is a difference. We had a lady once who washed all her fruit & vegs from the store in peroxide, said it took off the dirt and such, cleaned them real well.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have soaked seeds in hydrogen peroxide before planting seeds. Haven't used hydrogen peroxide for anything elso so far.

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bet it has to do with the disolved oxygen in the peroxide. You can buy powdered types of seed starter that claim to have oxygen to boost quick growth. It's worth a try. A word of caution, while some insects are pest to a point, mosquitos roaches , ants and such you must remember they are pollinators and the comment he made about the lack of even beneficially insects worrys me that he could be killing them off even though he thinks they are not their due to lack of other insects for food. Having a balanced garden also requires the bad bugs to an extent. Think of ying and yang for every bit of good there must be and equal balance of bad. I would be will to try it as a growth stimulator but not as a spary for insects. Just my 2 cents;)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
We had a lady once who washed all her fruit & vegs from the store in peroxide, said it took off the dirt and such, cleaned them real well.

I am sure she let them dry ,however, Peroxid should not be ingested. From one of the leading researchers in holistic medicine and health care comes this tip. Use pure grain alcohol for washing garden veggies. It will kill 100% of unseen parasites and bacteria and is totally safe. She also suggest using it as a household cleaner especailly on your counter tops where cross contamination occures.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I am sure she let them dry ,however, Peroxid should not be ingested. From one of the leading researchers in holistic medicine and health care comes this tip. Use pure grain alcohol for washing garden veggies. It will kill 100% of unseen parasites and bacteria and is totally safe. She also suggest using it as a household cleaner especailly on your counter tops where cross contamination occures.

One note on this though...there is 35% Food Grade hydrogen peroxide that is used ....It has been a few years ...but we use to get it and use it for many things...

Blueaussi

Peroxide at the strength he is talking about can be dangerous.

And Crabbergirl has a point, peroxide does kill indiscriminately. A lot of hydro folks use peroxide as a fungicide. Before you use any on your garden soil, especially if you have made an effort of add beneficial bacteria, nematodes, earthworms, or fungi to your soil, be reminded that it kills everything, not just the bad actors.

Annette99

Wow. you are all so helpfull with everything. Thanks. Now I have a bunch of research to do. Never heard of this one.

DizzyDaff

All very good points. Glad you all chimed in with responses - I saw the article and knew this bunch would have info about it!

No, you don't want to use anything indesciminately on your plants. If I were going to use this as a spray, I would certainly dilute it more as those percentages seemed high to me as well. :)

I was especially interested in the seed soaking benefits. :rolleyes: Gonna have to try it on some of my seeds to compare results.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com