Gerbera Daisy

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Mindy01

Has anyone Used the Seeds after the Gerbera Flower is done, its like a dandelion going to seed. I took steril potting soil with a clear lunch bag on the container. Took and spread bunch of seeds with a fine layer of Potting Soil. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck!!!!

Hi Mindy I've successfully raised a few plants from seed however, you must look for the very few fat, fertile ones. Most will be thin and infertile, and many flowers don't produce any fertile seeds at all. Once you see one though, you'll know it. Make a hole in your soil with a toothpick, then slip in the seed vertically with the fuzzy bit of the seed on top of the soil line. Push the soil around the seed and then cross your fingers as they can be a little sporadic germinating. If you can't tell which is which just get some seed raising mix, dampen it, pop in as many as you can so that they're vertical in the mix, and that the little fuzzy bit is just visible on the surface. Then spray with a mister bottle, and cover with plastic wrap to help keep damp and create some humidity. I then place it somewhere with plenty of light, but not direct sun. They usually germinate in about 2-3 weeks - I generally have about a 75% rate. Growing them from seed is the best way to get tough, healthy plants. I have some from punnets I bought years ago, they are tough garden ones that occasionally set seed, so my source is from them. I have only been interested in growing them from seed since I discovered the store bought ones were nearly all infertile, good luck!:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back