Getting rid of grass?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

marktripp

I turned a spot on my lawn into garden this year. I had it tilled in, sat a few weeks, placed manure on it and tilled again. Now I'm being over run by grass. Can I suppress/kill its growth just by mulching with grass clippings? I've tilled most of it with a weed whacker tiller but man that's a ton of work! It's faster with my hand cultivator.

Roundup or a similar herbicide will kill the grass, but if you don't want to use chemicals, you can stretch plastic over the ground and let the sun sterilize the ground.

Black plastic tarp works best and is the quickest way to cook the soil (solarize) to kill grass, and weed seeds!
You will need to leave it on for a few weeks!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back