Gladiola bulbs

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

smiley_face2

I have not grown these in literally2 decades due to the fact that you need to dig them up and store them over winter if you want to keep them. But, I bought a few last spring and they were so beautiful last summer!! We still have not had a hard freeze here, and a couple of them were still partly green, but it is predictied to get colder so I dug them up today. I cut any stems back that were still growing,and I have them on a tray in my kitchen to dry out. Is this appropriate? when they are completely dry, how should I store them then? thanks in advance for any help. This year I want to get some of the new chartreuse green ones I've seen to go with these ones which are a deep purple and white!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Janet
Since you are in zone 8 all you had to do is throw a thick mulch over them!
I take it your soil rarely freezes very deep and the freeze doesn't last very long!
Since you dug them up you can store them in a cool dark spot....like in a basement.

smiley_face2

thanks Ron! I wondered, they have such healthy root systems and were hard to get out of the soil! there are so many baby ones too. Maybe I will leave them next year then. One problem we have here though, is the massive rainfall. The ground gets so saturated and then it gets cold and things can rot pretty easy if the drainage is not good. I have lost a tree and several plants that way.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com