Gladiolus

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rockhound

I am not a big flower gardener but I like a few perrennials that I don't have to fool with much. Moving a couple clumps of daylillies yesterday and I cut into the corms (?) of a few glads so I thought I'd replace them. I got a bag a little bigger than I planned, it has 70 in it. So my question is, how closely should I plant them or CAN I plant them. The thicker the better as far as I'm concerned, bloom-wise. I think they will not be thinned for a couple years at least. 4 inch centers...6 inch? How close can I go?

Spacing them 6"s is good, but 8"s or more would be better!
If you plant them 8"s deep then you wont need to divide them as often!

Glads are an annual here in zone 5.... they have to be dug and stored over the winter.

I WAS in zone 6b til yesterday, found I'm in 7a on the new USDA map, so they do come back here. I had a few, all one color, kind pink-orange. Not a bad color just all one color. The new ones are supposed to be mixed so we'll see.

Wish I could leave mine in the ground all winter but they are annuals in Maine too, it's a pain digging them up and the dahlias and cannas too but love them so I do it every yr

Cleaning out my large pots for flowers yesterday, I pulled up one Dahlia with several fat tubers and a green sprout on it. I planted it back. Hope it's not too damaged. I was surprised but should have thought it might be possible, such a mild winter we've had. I put it the middle of a 8-gallon galvanized tub, probably put a ring of new plants around the edge.

I planted 40+ of the 70 in the bag, using a 6 inch spacing. Looking forward to the multiple colors. I gave the others away thinking they would be planted but now I think they will be neglected and wasted. Never a good deed goes unpunished, lol.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back