Grafting

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looked at the fruit trees in the orchard a few days ago and the pear trees' buds are swelling. The apple trees' buds have not started yet, but won't be far behind. I bought a Gravenstein Apple a couple of years ago for a source of scionwood so I could graft scions onto a Staymen Winesap already growing there. I saw a tool in a "Lee Valley" catalog that looked like a great idea, so I ordered one. It is a drill bit in cone shape. The angle on the bit is the same as on a pencil. The idea is to drill the parent stock, then use a pencil sharpener to shape the scion. I cut a handful of scions today and made three grafts using them to graft onto the Winesap tree. I sealed the grafts with grafting wax and now I get to wait and see if the grafts will take. I have already grafted a Gala Apple onto the Winesap and it has produced apples. The Gravenstein is an excellent apple for applesauce or pies. The Sunset Garden Book says it makes applesauce "with an attitude".

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe, I forgot to mention that when I get a good graft, the Gravenstein will no longer be necessary and it will be available if you would like it. It is a semi-dwarf so it won't grow to be a huge tree.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Oh Randy I would love to give it a home...and I have just the place for it...thank you kind sir...
I think we talk about this last summer---grafting that is---I am in hopes of doing some myself ...just slow at getting things all set up around here...so please keep posting your information if you would...Thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will. I took some pictures, but I don't want to say too much until I see a graft that takes. The next time I do a graft though, I want to have a new clean sharp pencil sharpener that you turn with your fingers. I wasn't thinking and I used the one in the garage that you turn the handle on. I did use a clean scion to clean the cutters with, but the bark and cambium were a little ragged. You know, you could get a year ahead if we dug that Gravenstein out now and if I need any more scions, I could get them from you. Want to do that before the growing season starts? Like now!

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Randy...I would love to do that...but I have no open time for a few weeks....What would be the lastest time we could move it this season...

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't know. Once the buds start to swell, I think I would wait for next winter. The buds on the pears are swelling already, so the apples won't be far behind. If I get a day that looks good though, I'll get the shovel out and get to work. But I'll call first to be sure I have a place to bring it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was in the orchard pruning yesterday and checked the grafts I made. There is no change. I did some pruning on one of the apple trees though and the sap is beginning to run now. The buds have not started to swell yet on the apples, but they are ready to pop on the pear trees.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
These last grafts are made with a new method to me, so I am not really confident, but time will tell.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com