Greasy Bean Patch

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some members may remember an old Greasy Bean patch where we met daily and talked of this and that. I'd like to start this one in honor of our friend Rosie who shared his Greasy Bean seeds with quite a few of us, some which arrived inside a hand made Christmas ornament.
Unforunately I never could get those beans to grow in my hot and humid climate but I gave it my all and willing to try again.
Anyway, there's some of us that enjoyed the old Bean Patch so here it is again..different time, different place.. but a wonderful site and really great members, what better place to start a new Bean Patch!

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Gloria good to hear from you, haven't seen you online when I was on. Am waiting on Wed. to enjoy some warm weather. Take care my friend.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is Rosie doing and the Mrs?
I saw that he registered here but hasn't been back.
Not sure what greasy beans are. Green Beans??

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Dale, I'm in and out these days. I'm waiting on the warmer weather too, I hope it doesn't bring rain with it. I have tons of yard work to do when it does get warmer. You take care too dear friend, and we have got to get a chat in soon.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is Rosie doing and the Mrs?
I saw that he registered here but hasn't been back.
Not sure what greasy beans are. Green Beans??
The last I heard was that Mrs Rosie was just home from the hospital after having a pace-maker implanted. She was doing well for a week or two but then had the symptoms of a cold coming on which could be a terrible thing for someone in her condition. I haven't heard anything since and that was in Dec. I dropped Rosie an email last night, hopefully I'll hear something soon. I would call him but he can't hear over the phone...I usually wait for Mrs Rosie to call me but I may soon give a call myself if I don't soon hear from them.

I'll find the link to the Greasy bean site and post it later. Rosie plants these beans on a frame as they are runners. It makes tunnels of bean bushes. I'll see if I have any of his pics and post those too.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gloria
I quickly looked but got to head off to bed, are they are like green, kidney, or lima beans or totally different??

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
They look similiar to green beans but a totally different taste. They snap and shell, depending on maturity. The vines can grow as much as 15 feet. This site does have a variety and has Greasy bush beans also..I think those were what Rosie called a "half runner."

I have often wondered how Mr and Mrs Rosie were doing...
They have gone thru quite a lot these past few years...hope and pray they are doing well...
I am gonna plant my greasy beans...the grand children will have fun....want to make them a play area in the center...
Laurie I can't answer your question 'cause I haven't grown them before.
Peggy

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did plant some seeds Peggy, but with the heat of our summers here, I don't think they stood a chance. It's much cooler in the summer where Rosie lives. I got them to grow but they just didn't fill out and produce. Nothing like the ones he sent me in that huge box! That's how I managed to get some to cook, he mailed me a flat rate box full!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Deb, I'm going to plant a 4th row of green beans this year. One row is enough for our own family needs, but I will give away the excess.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Randy, if you need seeds let me know...I was blessed by a friend with a bunch of veggie seeds...so please...if oyu are in need of any veggie seeds..before you go buy let me know I may have what you are looking for..

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy, did you plant the Bountiful Bush bean seeds last year? What did you think of them? Those are my favorites. I have big plans for a small garden this year. Usually I plant the same things every year. This year I'll still plant the usual but I want to try some different varieties of things, not a lot but a sampling of different vegetables? I also want to grow a few herbs.

Today hubby and I made some summer sausage from venison and pork. I like this with cheese and crackers. Makes a good snack.

Dor

Randy, did you plant the Bountiful Bush bean seeds last year? What did you think of them? Those are my favorites. I have big plans for a small garden this year. Usually I plant the same things every year. This year I'll still plant the usual but I want to try some different varieties of things, not a lot but a sampling of different vegetables? I also want to grow a few herbs.

Today hubby and I made some summer sausage from venison and pork. I like this with cheese and crackers. Makes a good snack.

WOW Gloria sounds delicious. I love summer sausage with cheese on crackers. I had that last night when I got hungry.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did plant them last year, Gloria. Debe and I both got beans from the vines. They are good beans, but I have trouble picking those on the ground. Once on my knees, I have trouble getting back up again. That was one of the reasons I started doing pole beans. I don't have to get on my knees. I'm going to plant a fourth row of beans this year though. It's not that I need the beans for myself, but it will give me more beans to share with others. I planted two rows of beets this last year also and the young couple that I have shared with before didn't take any of them. They had become parents and I'm guessing there were some major changes in their schedule. Regular changes, get that? LOL

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I can sure relate to the convience of pole beans. It's all I can do to pick beans on the ground. My back locks up and takes forever to stand straight again, not to mention the pain.

Dor, we prepared the meat and got it into the casings yesterday. It has to sit in the fridge 12- 24 hours for the seasonings to soak in. This morning I'll be doing the slow cooking in the oven. I would have much prefered using the smoker but I'm not good at using it and hubby won't be here this morning to help. Maybe next time.
Yep, summer sausage is a real good snack and the grand kids love it.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I have to say I did enjoy them though...I liked mixing them with the others...and they were really a good unwrapping one for Phillip...LOL..Even though I will have my own garden again this year...I sure hope I can still come graze as we visit...:D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are certainly welcome to do that. I won't forget my tires this year either, so that should help on the tomato production. I will plant more peppers too. Deb, you would have thought I was giving someone a bag of gold when I took peppers into the nursing home. It was the staff people that were excited though, not the residents.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy, have you thought about a veggie plant or two in pots for the residents to watch them grow and produce? Some of the folks that were once gardeners might enjoy that.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com