Growing Cacti and Other Succulants in Wet Zones 5/6

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The photos are no more then half of what I'm growing!
I'll post the other ones once they get large enough to get a good photo of them!

You wont be sorry if you do finally put one in Nancie!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really want to, but I have some many projects going right now. I don't know what got into me thinking I needed to enlarge the my garden. I drive by ot everyday thinking I just don't have enough time. :rolleyes: But a rock garden would be perfect in my courtyard. And I have a very high dry hot spot that needs something besides the giant Aloe.

Wish you were closer I would come buy some plants. That would make me get busy and do it!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Too bad I can't send you any due to all the restrictive regulations, more so on your side of the border!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
awww the thought is enough ;) I just told Tim once I get everything planted and mulched in the veggie garden it is time for landscaping. I can tell you he was less than enthusiastic. LOL!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been busy today building plant benches!
The first one (experimental) is 8ft by 34"s.
Almost got the top done with 32" supports every 2 inches....I think the next bench will be with 3" between supports.
Still need to finish the top then cut the legs....which I will need to cut to fit the area as it is not very level!
Here is what I did so far....
The other photos are what I have been using so far and need to be replaced with something a lot more attractive:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 403
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 415
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 420
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 408

Trax

Omg! :eek: You grow a ton of plants! Awesome! :D I haven't seen that much cactus since the last trip to the lake! Epic job, Ron! :) It's giving me ideas for my indoor garden cause I really need wider shelves.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron,
The first one reminds me of a fence railing I once had. that should do the trick for a sturdy bench for sure!
You sure have Lots of babies to take car of!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted something sturdy because the cacti and agave will need to stay there for a year or two. As I pot them up to larger pots the weight increases! It is essential that they are well drained so 2"s between the supports will provide this requirement.
The surface area will be supported by 6 legs to prevent bowing in the middle!
I'm using pressure treated 2"x2" by 8ft boards. The legs will be 24"s so the bench will sit higher then what I presently have, so I wont have to bend over as much, and will make it easier to water.
I'm using 3" screws to hold everything together!

The chemical used to pressure treat the wood is copper sulphate.
I think the whole bench will be attractive, and will help a lot in displaying the cacti when customer come to have a look and buy!
Some of the cacti species are growing quickly and already need to be repotted into individual pots, so need the room the benches will provide.
To aid in drainage I'm using mess type trays to lift them a bit so they are not sitting directly on the treated wood surface.

Josh
For indoor use you can use untreated wood as pressure treated wood is toxic. (I wear gloves when handling it to minimize exposure)

The fun part in selling cacti is to convince gardeners to create xeric gardens.
Cacti are low maintanance and require only the occasional watering and only the minimum of fertilizer. if at all!

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
After this year's severe drought conditions I will be replacing perennials that either suffered badly, or died as a result of the extemely dry conditions.
Looks like my area will be more desert-like so my selection of cacti, agaves, hesperaloes, and others, will do wonderfully in the upcoming years!

Now if I can only change my customer's way of thinking of gardening!

Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay tuned Phi, I'll be posting photos of each species of cacti I'm growing!
Some of the seedlings I started in January are just about ready to plant out in the gardens. It is easy to tell which species will grow the largest just by looking at how fast the seedlings grow and develop!

Wombat

Fabulous job there Ron, you've been a busy boy! With a bench like that and such healthy looking plants I'd pull over in an instant to check it all out and buy up a storm, well done!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks John! ...only need to build 5 more!!!!
I'll be waiting until it cools down before I start up again! It's a killer working with high heat and humidity!

Wombat

Oh well think about me in a couple of months re: the high heat and humidity lol. I've got 6 months of it comming, lucky me eh?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well John, I could take 12 months a year :D

Ron
I love your updates and seein all theat you are doing. I hope my son pops in here so he can view your pictures

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's more updates:
New plant bench then cacti, agave .... seedlings!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 400
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 385
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 378

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
more......

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 389
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 377
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 393

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
more..............

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 387
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 393
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 386
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 379

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
more..............
Please take note of the lethal spines and teeth on the agave, even at such a young 7 months!!!

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 388
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 403
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 371

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
More.........

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 380
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 388

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com