Growing tomatoes year around

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lazygardener

I live in country with constant heat and wet&dry seasons.

I wonder if there's any generic method to get tomatoes or any vegetable supply available all year around?
Right now all my plants have ripe tomatoes during the summer (dry season) and I dont get any harvest during the wet season even if its varm climate.

Is there any way to delay the cycle of the plans so I can rotate the harvest between them to cover the whole year?

klevelyn

Are the wet seasons hotter. Tomato flowers don't set well if the temps are above 90F. If it gets to warm the flowers can drop off.

RickRS

I heard its night time low temperature in the 70F or higher that cause tomatoes to stop producing. So klevelyn has a point, too warm and the plant stops producing. Where are you, and what the typical high day and night temperatures of your wet and dry season?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Along with the temperature, plants do have a life cycle and will naturally stop producing no matter the temp. I can garden almost all year with the exception of one or 2 months. In order to have a continuous supply of tomatoes, after about 3 months I start new plants. Again temperature will determine if this is possible. You can start the plants anytime, however production will be dependent on temperature and weather conditions.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com