Growing Water Melons in the dessert!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Tyler Snyder

Right now in my back yard I am growing Water Melon. Yes I know I live in a state that is a dessert but I'm looking for ideas to keep my watermelons growing well. Earlier when I started growing Pinto Beans half died of heat (They turned brown) and the other half ended up with little black bugs all over them and after a week they turned white then brown.

I have not seen these bugs around my Water Melon plant but right now I'm only asking for ideas, tips, and a fix for these bugs.

Good for you Tyler!
Watermelons and deserts seem to go well together....as long as the vines have a constant supply of moisture!
Hope you are mulching the soil around them....
About the pinto beans: you can use a good organic dusting powder to control your pests.....
You might try different types of beans, all love the heat in order to grow well...
In my experience, beans need a steady supply of moisture in order to grow well. Mulching helps in reducing soil moisture loss.
If the plants do not get enough moisture this stesses them and makes them prone to pest and fungal attacks.
You can use shredded tree bark, straw (not hay), a good layer of compost and well aged manure....you can turn the mulch over at the end of the growing season to help add organic matter to the soil which helps retain moisture levels.....you can never have enough organic matter...just add more each year....

Hope this info helps.

Good for you Tyler!
Watermelons and deserts seem to go well together....as long as the vines have a constant supply of moisture!
Hope you are mulching the soil around them....
About the pinto beans: you can use a good organic dusting powder to control your pests.....
You might try different types of beans, all love the heat in order to grow well...
In my experience, beans need a steady supply of moisture in order to grow well. Mulching helps in reducing soil moisture loss.
If the plants do not get enough moisture this stesses them and makes them prone to pest and fungal attacks.
You can use shredded tree bark, straw (not hay), a good layer of compost and well aged manure....you can turn the mulch over at the end of the growing season to help add organic matter to the soil which helps retain moisture levels.....you can never have enough organic matter...just add more each year....

Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the response!

Last night I went to the store with my grandfather and we got some fertilizer and garden friendly bug spray (my grandmother told me to get a powder like you did but we could not find any). We had gone to the store because I had spotted some bugs that looked like the ones from the bean plants. Lucky after using the spray the bugs seemed to go away.

By the way I thought watermelon did not grow well in the dessert but it is good to know that it can grow.

In the morning I basically flood the ground until It is about a inch high.

Ill keep it watered and one day Ill upload a picture. Thanks for the help.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back