Happy valentine's day to all of you

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I hope your Valentine was special to you today. All I wanted was a new Finch Feeder and Dewey already has it filled with the Nyjer seed and hanging in a pecan tree for me. Last year was our first attempt at feeding the finches. They are very entertaining and a lot of joy to watch them. The finches are so aggressive for their size. Do yourself a favor and get a finch feeder. The one we got last year had the bag of food a long with the feeder for around $7. The feeder I got was a copper metal decorative one that is so cute.

Hope you know you are all special!!! HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's such a nice gift Dale. I would settle for a new hummer feeder. We have loads of birds flocking in our yard to feed on the grass seeds... I have some spots where grass is seeding nicely for him. I love to watch the finches, sparrows, red birds, etc..

Happy Valentines day to everyone.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
As the old country song goes, "If you can't be with the one you love, honey love the one you with." (HEHEHEHEHEHE)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I refilled the feeders in the back yard this afternoon. There was one little nuthatch that was a bit reluctant to fly away while I was refilling the sunflower feeder. When I lifted the top though, he decided that was a bit much. LOL I refilled the sock feeder too and there were plenty of goldfinches around waiting for me to move a way.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy those gold finch are so aggressive to be so small. They are a joy to watch. They love the Nyjer seeds but so do the sparrows. We have lots of sparrows. The sparrows took over my Martin bird house.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have lots of sparrows too, several varieties. But I don't see them on the thistle feeder any. I throw out millet and hen scratch on the ground for the ground feeders, sunflower seeds in a feeder hanging in the tree, a suet feeder a few feet away from the sunflkower seed feeder, and a thistle sock hanging in a different tree.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dewey has a feeder with black oil sunflower seed, another with mixed sunflower and cracked corn, 2 with the Nyjer brand thistle seed, and a couple more with different stuff. The squirrels go to the peacock pen to eat the sunflower seeds in the peacocks feeder. The mourning doves eat the cracked corn that is spilled over from the feeders. We used to feed them bread but the black birds with take the bread and go to the bird bath and we had to change the water every day.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy the bird feeder I got for Valentines' Day is metal and only the little birds can get into the wire part to the tube where the seed is at. Advertised as squirrel proof and so far so good. The tube of seed is already half gone, with those small seeds that is a lot of eating but those small birds.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
The squirrels don't mess with my thistle socks, but they sure go after those sunflower seeds. A friend of mine has a squirrel proof feeder that is battery operated. When a squirrel jumps on it, the weight of the squirrel activates it and it spins throwing the squirrel off. She has told me about it, but I haven't seen it work.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy I would love to know more about the bird feeder your friend has. The squirrels are playing havoc on feeders in the peacock pin. Inquiring minds want to know.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, Dale! I'll ask about it and see what the name of it is and possibly a website. We have some nice bird shops in the area and that is probably where she found that thing.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went by the place today where that store used to be, but it is not there any more. I will look for one of the other branches though.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com