Have you ever done something really stupid?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a really big no-no and thought I'd share my stupidity..
I'm so thrilled and tickled about this site that I went through all my email addy's and sent them invites to this site. There was one name I could not remember if I had traded plants or seeds with her or just met her on a site. I have joined bunches in the past...anyway..I sent her an invitation. I recieved an email reply today. It said...I was just curious, why would you send me this site when you know I am founder of garden_____ forums
I don't know if I can put the name of the site on here but geeks is a part of it. I really thought that site had vanished in the wind and I sure didn't connect with the name...I sent her a reply that I had just sent everyone on my addy list an invite and thought that site was forever gone! If she was offended in anyway, etc, etc.
How stupid of me not to clean out my email addy's now and then...I am totally embarrassed!!:eek:

Oh I have done many many things that make you feel really stupid. And I do not know what site you are referring too.. but at the least you would think she might want to check out the competition??

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need you ask that question? I sent a personal e-mail to my entire membership base! Glad there wan't anything toooo personal in there just my private phone number and address!

Jules

You want to hear stupid and embarrassed??? I sent an email to a girlfriend last year, venting about my ex daughter in law and how she lies and tried to keep the grandkids from us, etc...thankfully I was not in a vicious mood - just lightly venting, if there is such a thing. So here's the catch - I sent it to the DIL instead of my friend! Well now, there were sparks flying for awhile! It is nothing I wouldn't say to her face - just didn't want it getting to her that way! Gheez - I get upset just thinking about it. And me of all people - being a key operator and office manager of a sales office, I know better than to press send without checking the details first! Easy to do...and thus the reason one has to be careful with email and the internet!

bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have joined bunches in the past...anyway..I sent her an invitation. I recieved an email reply today. It said...I was just curious, why would you send me this site when you know I am founder of garden_____ forums

That's an easy mistake to make, I know I would be a lot more inclined to laugh than I would be to get upset.

Along with this site, I run several sites devoted to railroads. My site is one of the biggest railroad sites on the web. I'm also a member of several of the other large railroad sites. The owners of those sites know who I am and what I do. In fact, we occasionally converse, and I've even gone so far as to allow the forum owner to post a rebuttal to a conversation on my site that was bashing his site.

I don't expect this to be the only garden site on the web (hello!), and everyone is welcome, no matter what sites they may own or run. I would only object to somebody signing up here to try and troll for members for their site.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
NOOOO ...never stupid around here...;)...almost everyday my mouth opens before my brain.....but one time i had an email to send out to many people..wanted to sed it BCC....I was not good at how to do that ...so asked my daughter to send it for me...well, I had one email I had sent to myself with all my the email addresses init...thought that I had to copy and past every time...daughter sent that email out to everyone...the one with everyones email addy...OY I felt so badly and stupid...

froglady

Jules, you had me rolling on the floor with your reply. I cringe at the thought of sending one particular daughter in law some of the emails I've sent:eek:) I don't really bash her, but wish she and I were more compatible, and have discussed this with her several times. he is sort of anti social and doesn't often accomodate my plans to get the family together (thinks 'her' family is a private organization instead of Nana having options:eek:)
I'm the grand master of boo boos though and have really had to learn how not to be impulsive with my tapping fingers:eek:) Marie K

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that there only people who won't admit they have done something stupid. I have seen people that were quite intolerable of someone's mistake. But I contend that the only people that do not make mistakes are the ones that do not do anything. But making the same mistake time after time then morphs into stupidity. There is really not a thing wrong with being ignorant. The truth is that everyone is ignorant. For even the person that believes they know everything is surely ignorant. I am ignorant of many things. But if I choose to stay ignorant of something that I should know about, then I have chosen to be stupid. I rely on other people a lot to know things that I do not know. Our culture is so complex, that we need each other just to get by from day to day. Okay, the thing that I recall that has haunted me for many years was a situation in which a young man was having some difficulty making a tailgate lift work. I was trying to help, but was almost successful in getting his hand caught up in the linkage of the tailgate when I hit the lever that actuated the lift. I came so close to seriously injuring him. That event comes to mind occasionally and I will never forget how close I came to a disaster.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well..I recieved another email from this administrator. She was sweet and LOL'd about it and signed off with {{hugs}} so maybe I didn't do too bad...not as bad as Jules...hehehe.

deck chucker

I do so many dumb things on and off the internet. My husband said that's why he married me the second time was for the entertainment factor. :)
I sent an email to someone after a forum reset. I thought it was one person for about a month and it turned out to be someone different than I thought! I had the right country at least.

K

Kale

You want to hear stupid and embarrassed??? I sent an email to a girlfriend last year, venting about my ex daughter in law and how she lies and tried to keep the grandkids from us, etc...thankfully I was not in a vicious mood - just lightly venting, if there is such a thing. So here's the catch - I sent it to the DIL instead of my friend! Well now, there were sparks flying for awhile! It is nothing I wouldn't say to her face - just didn't want it getting to her that way! Gheez - I get upset just thinking about it. And me of all people - being a key operator and office manager of a sales office, I know better than to press send without checking the details first! Easy to do...and thus the reason one has to be careful with email and the internet!
Jules, You did fine.Good for your ex DIL, now she knows how you feel! I hope it worked out. Dont think matters could have gotten much worse then they were.Maybe that is what she needed. Someone stand up to her, how dare she keep your grand children form you!

I don't have a DIL but I do have a MIL and It can be safe to say she usually knows what Im thinking if not she will ask, and I will tell.
Actually everyone I'm close to

Ok I have one.There was this man that was a member of my church, that had a wife cheating on him and he refused to tell the Elders.He would send out scripture quotes with a little commentary on them.
Like an encouragement of the day kinda thing.I told him to please take me off your mailing list for as long as you will cover for your wife, I explained I loved him as a brother but he needs to take care of his family before trying to encourage others.I stated something to the effect of him having no business giving a complementary on any Scripture.I tried to encourage him to bring it to the Elders and Pastor.Well what a really stipid thing to do...I clicked on Reply to ALL! Nearly the whole congregation!
Oh my Lord the words hit the fan now everyone knew! I had almost everyone on my tail*LOL Hubby didnt think it was all that bad*lol
He said the Pastor and Elders needed to know.
I felt so terrible It was truly a mistake.
His wife was sorta black -mailing him if you buy me new LR set etc. (Anything she thought she wanted he was buying her it was terrible) she would tell him I'll stop sleeping with my "Best Friends Husband" their neighbor! The situation was a devastating situation.For that family and the church and the neighbors!.
(Later that same year) My Reply To ALL actually helped him face what was going on and get council a lot quicker then he had planned.

Kale

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloria we all do stupid things but you have to look forward and don't look back. You can't change the past.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
HI Dale, I'm glad you joined us. After reading a few more stories from others and getting a good laugh and hug from the person I invited..(R.H.), I don't feel so bad!
I sure would have hate to have been in Kales shoes with her boo-boo!!!!

K

Kale

Thanks Gloria,It was a new mail interface and I was use to clicking in that corner to send,didn't realize it was one click over .
It was a trying time but we all made it thru together.

Kale:)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bless your heart Kale, that's the kind of thing that would put you between a rock and a hard place. So glad it worked out for everyone. Lately I've been checking my list (of recipients) and checking it twice..

Melissa

LOL...deck chucker!!! That makes me think of my mother and the telephone. Now this has happened several times. Someone will call her and say how are you doing....and they talk for hours before they realize that they don't know each other and the person had the wrong number. I have never done anything stupid with the emails but I don't send that many. I could type all day about the stupid stuff I do in life on a daily basis though. People at work swear I am blond under this red...but I tell them...no, just stupid...lol!

prettylady

LOL thanks for all the chuckles...I am guilty numerous times...open mouth before I engage brain... It's hell being human sometimes ....Isn't it?:D
Peggy

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, we're only human and can get into big trouble before we realize it..like years ago, I was working in a little store where a few folks dropped by in the mornings and had a cup of coffee. I had just started and didn't know the regulars well. Anyway this one man stops by and made the remark that he was going to pick up the "ole gal", she was waiting for him and they were going fishing. He left, the phone rings, a woman asked if he was there. I said no, just left..is this his wife? Yes... Well he should be there shortly, he said he was going to pick up his gal and go fishing...
Needless to say, he was not picking up the wife..I was fired the next day.

M

Mari-Jo

These are good.......lol..............just recently I decided to "bleach" my kitchen sink. Didn't have much bleach left, but used what I had. Took the large bleach bottle downstairs to the garbage can, was just on my way up stairs, and I heard someone sign on at the computer, so of course I go and check. Min's later, I hear a strange noise...........oh my..........I left the water running in the sink........yep, it was overflowing onto the kitchen floor........one way to get it washed...............:D

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com