Hello all!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mrsmac82

I'm planting my garden with just a few veggies. I've got bush beans, squash, zucchini and tomatoes going now. I might also mention that I'm a low carber...so most of my plants will be leafy greens for fall/winter. I plan to can and freeze what I harvest this summer. I really just want to rely less on buying and more on growing. We are grain free so...until I get chickens laying I would like our only purchases to be protein.

I expect to have to purchase lettuce and other greens in the summer months. Unless I can learn of some that I can plant in the summer.

Anyhow, right now I have a very small garden but I have plenty of room to expand. I have about an acre of field that I hope have prepared and ready next planting season. The dirt here is very rich, if I do fertilize...I'm not sure what I would use.

Any and all suggestions regarding anything will be much appreciated!

Hi Mrsmac!
I had a very dear neighbor we called Miss Mac. He husband went by Mac so we just called her Miss Mac. You made me smile when I saw your name:)

I never buy veggies unless I really just want something I am not growing.You might want to try arugula. It grows very well in the hot months and will be happy to reseed itself time and again. Also cilantro and parsley . Parsley like a bit of filtered light when it gets really hot out. Edamamae is also a good producer.Bok Choy almost all year. Doesn't like to freeze but can take the cold.
rutabagas, turnips, kale, collards, can all be started now for harvet through the summer. I have been planting a lot of drying beans this year as that is easier than canning all the time for me since I work full time. I am excited to see how it works on a large scale. Some of the legumes are very low carb high fiber. Google low carb veggies and there is a site that has the veggie with the carb content. Wish I had svaed the link to post. I went low carb about 2 years ago. Watch the squash, some are very high in carbs.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions I look forward to sharing with you what I have learned.

Thank you! I appreciate your reply. I'm not sure if I've ever tried arugula, but I have to say...I'm picky about my lettuce. Some of it can be so bitter, and I'm not even sure which ones they are lol. I LOVE bok choy so I'm glad you suggested that. So far I just planted straight neck yellow and zucchini squash. They are relatively low on the carb scale.

I look forward to learning what you have to offer as well!

Hi there Mrs. Mac
Welcome to our site, I am sure you will get a lot of advice from the folks here.
Again welcome

Romaine I can't believe I forgot Romaine! This lettuce grows well in the summer. Make sure you get the "slow to bolt" type. I do not cut the entire plant , rather pull leaves off as needed. This way it continues to produce untill it is ready to seed. You will notice a change in color and texture of the leaves as it gets ready to set seed heads. Once you see the change don't eat the leaves, they will be very bitter. Black seeded simpson is a good leaf lettuce and stays a long time. Mesclun mixeslast all summer and into winter as long as you keep them picked back. Pick all but the small center leaves, it keeps the plant producing. We also eat the leaves of greens like kale, turnips, and collards fresh and raw in salads and make wraps with the leaves. ;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back