Help! Elephant ear bulbs - can you "skip" a year?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

joe7

I have some of these bulbs but do not want to plant them this year. Can I just keep them in storage and plant next year, or must they be planted each year? Thx

I have some of these bulbs but do not want to plant them this year. Can I just keep them in storage and plant next year, or must they be planted each year? Thx

I doubt they would survive that long!
You will need to plant them soon!

Last edited:
Elephant garlic?
I planted some in fall along with "regular" garlic. Can't remeber which one off the top of my head now.
But from what I have read (not a gardener hear just alot of reading) garlic will not tolerate long term storage.
That being said plant in fall, dig it up when ready, dry it, plant it in fall.
The rest should about make it until the new crop comes in next year but that's about it, and seemed like a bit of a strech if you stored the bulbs. Powdered is another story.
As a side note, I bought some late too, Feb/March. It started growing in the bag in my house. So proper storage is going to be the big issue. Keep it dry.
But like I said I don't have any experiance either.
Oh a side note, make sure you break the bulbs apart. 1 bulb of garlic should be atleast 8 to 10 plants.
Put the pointed end up when planting.

Not elephant garlic, but elephant ear bulbs 'Colocasia' which is a tropical foliage plant!

Guess that makes me the smart one.
In that case I have no idea. If you have some saved could be worth a try.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back