HGTV Protest Campaign

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Bernie

Those who enjoy the amusing antics of Paul James, The Gardener Guy, on HGTV may want to join the planned April 13 email protest of the reported cancellation of his show.
It makes no sense for execs at Scripps Network to cancel gardening shows just when the nation is showing a growing interest in gardening. For the first time in my memory there is even a garden at the White House. The interest in gardening is so high right now I've heard stories of seed companies having difficulty keeping up with seed orders and people not being able to find seeds in local stores.
The programming they are calling "Gardening Programming" is in MHO not even remotely garden related. They are just giant makeovers the average person cannot afford nor even glean helpful information from. This is our opportunity to let Scripps know how we feel.

http://hgtvprotestcampaign.blogspot.com/2009/03/hgtv-protest-campaign-april-13-2009.html

Scrips needs to take the G out of HGTV. There are so little gardening shows on it anymore that it isn't even worth watching, unless of course you want to put in a $250,000. garden remake. Paul James has a great show and will have no problem selling his show to TLC TV. I also miss the Victory Garden Show and A Gardeners Journal. The programing is only about house hunting and major make overs that most people can never afford to do. I guess the programing mangers are now making so much money they lost touch with the reasons and the people that made HGTV such a hit.
Bernnie thanks for the info I will mark the date.

i have been watching his show weekdays on DIY. My kids even like his show. As for HGTV it is completely geared for ppl who have alot more money than I do. I don't have 18,000 to remodel my whole house let alone bathroom. I used to like their gardener's diary too. I just can't get up that early on the weekends I will definetely mark my calendar.

Dor

I will mark my calendar as well Bernie. Thanks for letting us know. I enjoy Paul James' show. I agree with you about HGTV cancelling this show now that more people are growing their own food. I finally had my seed order down yesterday and went to Pine Tree seeds to get it processed and there is a note saying their seed orders are running behind and it will take 3-4 weeks to receive them. A couple other herb sites had stopped their orders until the summer.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Bernie I will join the crusade. Watched his show this morning. I liked it better when it was on 2 30 minute segments but it was down to one. Hope everyone will get on the band wagon and join the crusade. There isn't much good stuff to watch on TV anymore. As time goes by it's less and less. On our public TV we used to have a gardening show in the evening twice of week sponsored partly by Clemson University. Due to financial cutbacks one of the shows was discontinued.

Come on folks let's do our part to help Paul James keep his show on HGTV.

Jade

Victory garden is on my recording list on Saturdays, maybe it is a local thing. I have always loved it. Hubby even watches my gardening programs and supports me at the local garden centers.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jade I was thinking that Victory Garden was on my public TV channel not HGTV. Am I wrong?

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor I bought seed yesterday at the local Southern States store. Seeds have gone up this year and there is more demand with the economy going like it is. We all need to start saving more vegetable seeds.

Dor

Yes we do need to start saving our veggie seeds Dale. Everything is getting more expensive. I was able to get some Burpee seed at Walmart for $1 but not at Lowe's and HD.

KeyWee

Good luck with this. Scripps could not possibly care less what the people want or think.
I am a garden forum host (who knows for how much longer) on a recipe site that I once adored. Although I still care very much for the people that use the site and that I have become friends with over the years, now that the site has been bought out by Scripps, it's like we are the Eloi living under the shadow of the Morlocks. There's always a cold presence that wants only ONE thing. Can we say money?
Yes, it may cause a few ripples if you hit them in the advertisers. But I think it will probably take a tsunami to make a difference. Like someone else mentioned, they are all "H" and no "G", so an information-filled season-friendly show like By The Yard just doesn't fit their design-based venue. And to quote Landscapers' Challenge "Keywee does NOT have $30,000 set aside for this project".

bob

Administrator
Staff member
You want to know how to really make an impact?

Write to the biggest sponsors on HGTV... Tell them how you don't like the fact it's turning into "How to hire a contractor to rebuild your mansion TV" and that you're really upset they don't have more gardening shows.

Be polite, considerate and well mannered. Don't "yell" or say stuff like "I'll never buy your product!" or "I won't ever watch that channel again". Simply say that you enjoy gardening shows, and find you watch a lot more often when they have them on...

Sponsors will listen, and HGTV will listen to them.

bob

Administrator
Staff member
the site has been bought out by Scripps
Well, glad you found this site then... I've never heard of Scipps, let alone been bought out by them. I'm not a huge corporation. I'm not even a small corporation. :)

I'm a small business trying to make some additional income from the web. I know that in order to even have a chance to succeed, I have to put the members first. I listen to what people say, and do whatever I can to make the site better. (Within the limits of my budget of course. For example, I've love to broadcast gardening shows as part of the site, but that's just not possible.)

Sadly, too many of these big guys have forgotten the first rule of business. It's all about the customer. Annoy your customer (viewers) and they will go away.

Bernie

Bob, their major sponsors are listed and I for one plan to send several of them a note telling them just as you suggest: Simply say that you enjoy gardening shows, and find you watch a lot more often when they have them on... Actually I plan to say I only watch when they have them on as that is the truth.
I love Paul James but I would also love to see shows like A Gardener's Diary, Gardener's Journal, The original Victory Garden with James Crocket, And a few other old programs they carried years ago. I can’t think of the show's name only the host’s last name was Cox I think. They also had a program about insects of all sorts good and bad with a wonderful gentleman with a beard. Yard Crashers & Landscape Smart aren’t bad, at least you can get some design ideas even though they rarely mention the plants.
I always enjoyed the PBS Specials. My favorite was Audrey Hepburn's garden tours.

We may not be able to sway HGTV but we must at least try.

I was going to reply but the lighting strikes are coming close so I better close down the computer. don't want to get fried again.

After a few years of not having cable/satellite, I just recently signed back up with DirectTV. I was shocked at the change in HGTV's programming. It's all about homes, not gardens so I rarely bother to tune in any longer.

hgtv?

Well, cheapo ole me just got DirectTV (no cable available) and was eager to watch HGTV. Well all I can find on it when I can watch, is real estate shows. Needless to say I don't watch HGTV.

Unfortunately we live in a time when "bigger is better" and bigger means minimizing cost to maximize profit for the pension fund managers. Grred is da word in the large corporate world fols.... with one or two notable exceptions. No one seems to think that happy satisfied customers is good for business.... just selling it cheaper than the next guy can is important. I really dred the day a coming when 75% o more of us are employed by Walfart, Home Despot and JC Pennyante. 1984 ain't far off folks.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com