Home Cures for What Ails You

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok Did I spell that right? If not someone please correct it! :rolleyes::eek:
Anyway post your favorite home remedy here!
Some of us have been talking about home remedies and such in another thread. Thought this would be great, especially for new comers, if we kind of had them in an easy to find spot.

One of the things I use all the time is Onion Garlic soup. Most people do not know that onions and garlic have antiboitic properties and actully aid in the healing of lung issues, as well as many other organs. If I am ill I will break out the big heavy cast iron pot.If I have a fatty piece of beef I cut it up and render that in the pot. If not I use a little butter. I start slicing the hottest onions I can find. (First the sinuses open!) WHen I have several of those babies sliced I get out the garlic at least 1 bulb either sliced diced or minced. Then I kind of stir fry the mixture until the onions start to carmelize. Now think about this you are standing over this pot breathing all that good steam into your sinuses and lungs! That's a bonus. Then I add water and boullion and sometimes I even add powdered garlic and onion. When it's cooked down drink the broth and eat the onions and garlic. (i know , I know you don't have to worry about vampires) Not to be too graphic but this will cleanevery organ in your body. An I bet you feel much better within 24 hours.
Growing up my kids hated it and they would baulk at eating it. But now they will both ask me to make it for them if they are sick. If you want to make it french onion style, when you have the onions and garlic sauted then add flour and brown sugar enough to coat the onions and garlic real well. And kind of fry that together for a few minutes untill it looks like everything is breaded. Then add your water and cook down it will be sweet and thicker than a broth. Make a serving in an over proof bowl, place a toasted slice of french bread on top and then top with mozzrella cheese and broil! I always add a dash or three of good hot sauce.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
thanks for posting this information and starting the thread...my granny use to cook this up for us...I am running short on time this am but do have a few I can post...look forward to getting more..

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Debe,
Can't wait to see what you have for us.
When I was about 9 I had the measles not the 3 day kind, the bad boys that kill . We actually didn't know what it was for weeks I was just sick with a horrible cold and my mom made a pultice to put on my chest to try to ease the cough, and pain and to bring out what she thought was congestion. She baked diced onions and garlic in mason jars in the oven and then sewed little muslin bags. She added the onions and garlic to the bags and mixed them with mustard powder. Then they were laid hot and steamy on my chest.My throat was swollen closed and I couldn't eat but she made me sip that juice off the onions and you know I broke out in spots. They rushed me to the ER ( about 40 miles away) because I couldn't breath . When I was in the sun is when they saw the spots. The Dr's told mom if she had not done that I would have died. I have always wondered if it was the heat or the onion mix? That was the only time she used onions as a medicinal I think my grandmother told her to do it. All I remeber is it worked!.

Dor

I remember my mother giving us some soup or tea made with onions also. I remember my youngest sister would get pneumonia every year and my mother would make Cow Chip tea and give it to all of us. I slept with my sister so I got it one winter myself. My mother sent my brother outside by our butane tank. A fuzzy looking plant was growing there that she wouldn't let us cut down. She boiled that plant, made some tea, and gave it to me. Within 24 hours I was up and feeling better. She also would give our newborn babies some type of onion tea that she told us would made the hives come out and sure enough the babies would get a little red rash.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Jewish Penicillin

One of the simply ones ...that I am sure we all have heard ...is home made chicken soup...was called "penicillin" SP? in my granny's home....Although not really penicillin...it works well to releive a cold....Take a whole chicken and cover in water and bile until meat is falling off the bones.. pull all the meat off and put in the stock...add onions...fresh crushed garlic...fresh red pepper...sea salt and some noodles...cook on low until noodles are soft...eat away...
I saw a news clip not to long ago that found in research this really works well..

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made a chicken soup last week as I had a cold. Said something to my mom and she said i've heard it's suppose to be good for alot of things and her friend that is a retired nurse said it is. We never had chicken soup when we were sick growing up.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Eye Inflamation

When I was young I had hay fever really bad...my eyes would get so swollen up from all the itching ...So my granny would take bread ( home made grain bread) and put it in the fridge allow it to get cold and then have me lay down and close my eyes and lay the cold bread on my eyes...it would take the inflamation out and stop the itching with in a few mins...sounds weird ..but works well...

Then she would make an eye wash with fennel seeds....she would boil water ...in a cloth she would put in a handful of fennel seeds....drop in the pot and boil for 5 mins.,,,then let cool...she would use this as an eye wash also...

Now remember these are things my granny used with us kids and I still use...but please I am not a doctor ..:)

Kya D

I will never forget when we were little my Mom made up mustard plasters to put on our chest to break up congestion in our chest.
It was just mustard powder and flour mixed with enough water to make a paste. The paste was then spread on a cloth the cloth was folded so the paste did not touch our bare skin and it was placed on our chest for a short time.
USE CAUTION!!!!! I am the second child and my Mom used this on my older brother who is brown hair, brown eyes, olive skin. When it was time to put one on me blond hair, light eyes, and very fair skin, Mom didn't realize that I had to have it on for a lot LESS time than my brother and she left it on until my chest blistered. If you use this, check the chest every couple of minutes.
Once the chest is pretty pink take off the plaster and rub chest, neck, throat and underarms with vicks.
Heat a towel (on the wood stove until warm) and cover the chest with the warm towel.
My Mom also made other yucky stuff.

Dor

Once in my town a lot of people were ill but I don't remember with what but my mother bought some type of concoction that had a bad smell and put it in little white clothe bags and all of us children had one around our neck. Most all the children in our school wore the bags too. I can't remember the name of it. every time the seasons changed we had to take old fashioned Black Draught or Castor oil. Yucky

My mother still makes a sinus wash. I can't stand that stuff but if I am congested enough I will use it.

I don't do most of the things my mom or grandparents did, like 3 drops of turpentine in a spoonful of sugar for a sore throat. Yuck!

I do use my herbs in a steaming pot of water to loosen things up when I get sinus trouble, usually rosemary, ginger and cayenne pepper. Then hold my head over it with a towel over my head. It helps.
I also eat salsa and chips or anything with jalapenos when my sinuses are stuffed up as it is an antihistimine.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have as much sinus trouble since I moved to Austin and started eating tex mex. It will clean you out for sure.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vervain TEa

Vervain is an anti-parasitic herb. When made into a tea it releives congestion and breaks up Phlem. I actually killed heart warms in a dog using the tea and powdered vervain in the food. My vet was amazed! I have used vervain for about 10 years.

I remember mustard plasters but didnt know how to make them. I make white sage smudge sticks for bronchitis and the like. I also make a eucalyptus ointment for stuffy noses. I make our wound healing ointments (rosemary, calendula, mint, lavender, and palm oil). We use Valerian for sleep. Echinacea to prevent colds all winter. St John's wort to combact S.A.D. I have herbs that I use for pain and I am working on a cream for neuralgia.

Dor

Vervain TEa

Vervain is an anti-parasitic herb. When made into a tea it releives congestion and breaks up Phlem. I actually killed heart warms in a dog using the tea and powdered vervain in the food. My vet was amazed! I have used vervain for about 10 years.
Crabbergirl, I am going to grow some Vervian this year as my dogs have been diagnosed with heartworms and use it for congestion too. .

Last edited:
Vervain TEa

I just googled vervain to see what it was.We have this plant growing in my pasture.How do you collect this plant to use?

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crabbergirl, I am going to grow some Vervian this year as my dogs have been diagnosed with heartworms and use it for congestion too. .
I will tell you how I did it. You have to be careful as it is very strong and can be toxic if given too much.
I put 1/8 cup of dried leaves in a water steep. I then added the steeped liquid to 1 gal of water. Sometime you will have trouble getting them to drink it but I made it the only water offered. You can add a little sugar to sweeten it or use boullion to flavor it. Now the powdered vervain I used in capsules I packed myself. 1 cap 3 x's daily. that's a #10 cap.
I also began supplimenting with black walnut tincture, wormwood, tincutre and cloves tincture at the rate of one dropper a day of each. It took about 6 months but it worked. I also went to a diet which included steamed carrots and rice added to his regular food. A doggie supplement won't hurt either. As the parasite dies sometimes your dog will be listless and have lack of energy. The healthier his system is the faster and easier his recovery will be. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a vet nor am I practicing vet med. I am simply sharing information which has worked for me in the past;)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
To use vervain . Crush dried leaves for tea. Steep in water.
Grind dried leaves for powder and pack in pill caps. For me I like this better because the tea is a little bitter

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com