How much to charge for pumpkins

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

pumpkinguy

I'm going to plant few pumpkin plants this year and plan to sale them. Anyone know what I should charge? I will probably divide them up into small, medium, large, and huge. There is a pumpkin patch in town, and of course a lot of people will rather go to that simply because of the experience for their toddlers, so I need to have good prices to get customers, but not crazily low. I was thinking something like...

small: $3
medium: $5
large: $7
huge:$9

Sound about right, or should I lower the price? Also, any ideas to get more people? I plan to just set up on the side of the road.

Sounds to me like you have it pretty well planned. If you have the traffic, you will sell the pumpkins.

I have the same idea.
That does not look bad to me either. I know I bought a couple bowling ball size ones last year (didn't have the garden then) for 6 or 7. I may go a bit lower then you, but this all depends on the area.
I would suggest looking at your competitors. (stores, go a couple dollars lower) You have to remeber you don't have much else to offer to attract people to you. Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot attract alot of people for other things, while they are there, they get a pumpkin. On that same note, if I sit behind my backyard I have alot of traffic, so if they see readily that I am selling them...
But I will still say that's not a bad price. You just need to be competative.

Prices sound good for now, but as all us gardeners know, weather will determine availabilty for seasonal produce. Be ready to adjust your price up or down based on supply and demand. ;)
Good luck, keep us posted on how well you do with your sales.

If your city allows it you might put up signs for a few blocks around your house. Like the ones we always see for yard sales. BUT after the season in over please make sure to take the signs down.
Or put up little signs at grocery store bulletin boards (with the stores permission) Our PO has a board for that type of stuff.

I agree with crabber girl, prices sound alright but it's gonna depend on the yield come september/october. A guy near me gives em away for free so i hope your not in central jersey ;)

Guess I have two things for you.
Depending on your lifestyle, etc... Free is great if it's something for you to do. Guessing you want some extra money.
As my dad tells me and I have begun to tell everyone else. If your going to do something don't do it for free. You have to make money to make a living. If someone does not want to pay for quality then you don't need to do it.
That being said if it's a side kinda thing for extra money high prices aren't going to be priortiey, but don't sell yourself short.
The big thing, make sure your visible. If you can go to a Wal-Mart parking lot, sit on a high use street, etc... You will sell even at store prices if you have a good product.
But like said the competition will dictate cost for you.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back