How To Build A Self Watering Rain Gutter Grow System!!!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

minnesotakid

I used to build my own earth box type containers but got tired of the constant watering! please take a look at my system I invented you can construct the containers in about 20 seconds! I had fantastic results! Just thought I would share this with you! Larry

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to our forum Larry!
Very ingenious design!
Thank you for sharing your inventuon!
It's simple and easy to build and is user friendly!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
that looks like a really good system. I like the idea of a float to keep water in the trough.

minnesotakid

My slogan is plant it and forget it!~ What is really cool is you can use any container! a five gallon pail, a dollar store 18 quart wash tub! a plasic tote you name it they all grow great in it! If you have any questions feel free to contact me at any time i am here to help! Good Luck! Larry

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow awesome idea Larry, thanks for sharing with us
I'm out in your neck of the woods for 2 months on business
Flew into Minn/St Paul and now in Eau Claire, WI

minnesotakid

If you get around the Brainerd MN area stop in the coffee's on!!! you got to try building at least 1 system you will be forever spoiled!!!! thanks Larry

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only drawback with the design is that mosquitoes could become a problem with the open water!
Might need to add a screen to the design to prevent mosquito access!

minnesotakid

Never had a problem not one mosquitoe!!! Very easy to to cover rain gutter with plastic and make holes just large enough for the net cups! But like i said i had ten units and never had one bug! Larry

minnesotakid

The reason i believe for not having any mosquitoes is because the water does not become stagnant The float is adding fresh water!!!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking of using screening, the same mesh size used for window and door screens, easy enough to cut it to fit and staple it on!
Mosquito problems tend to be regional and will use any water source to lay their eggs!
So if you do not have a problem it doesn't necessarily follow that other gardeners will not.
Using screens will be preventative.

mr_yan

I do something really close to this but have a resivour per container and you fill it from a PVC pipe fill tube. I bet you don't have a mosquito problem as the water container is rather small and will be wicked up often enough to kill the larva. With this little water two tomatoes will empty it in a day.

I'll switch this season from a dozen 5 gallon buckets like this to four 18 gallon totes with larger fill tubes. It will cut down on my watering time considerably.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com