Hummingbird Sightings

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Our hummers are due to show up any day now and we have a snow storm coming in tomorrow!! I have the feeders up and will keep an eye out. Poor little things are going to be chilly!

You might want to strengthen your nectar to 1 1/3 cups of sugar to every 4 cups of water. That's what they recommend that we do when they are migrating. The extra sugar will help them keep their little bodies warmer because there are no flowers around for them to eat. I am not sure whether the snow will take out any bugs they eat. But the nectar will be important for them!

When?

When will the humming birds be in Ohio? Last year they were visiting my bee balm but that was in the middle of summer.

Spot the hummer!

Those buggers are so fast! Hard to get a good picture of them with my camera. But they really love my weilgea.

Attachments

• hummer.jpg
    hummer.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 317
I had one but after he ate he left. I wish they would come back.
I have Bulloch Orioles that eat at the feeders.

I've only had one so far this year, but my sister said she's having major aerial battles already. She's between us in Camden, Dale. I'll call her and tell her to stop hogging the hummingbirds.

My mom has a couple at her feeders. I don't have any feeders out as I don't change the water like I should. I have plenty of flowers once they bloom for them.
I do put out grape jely for the baltimore orioles

Our hummers arrived May 10th - first the males arrive, then the females come here about a week later. We definitely have two males - and either one or two females. They are so entertaining and such fun to watch. We have two feeders - both stuck on the kitchen windows, so we get up close and personal with them. Dale - when do you get them down there? Ours are the Ruby Throat breed.....and I know they winter someplace south of us...but not sure where!

Hey all I know I havent been around lately moving, surgery and blah blah blah. BUT I saw my first hummingbird of the season last week. It was a warm sunny day and Bill and I took the bike for its inspection and on the way back I saw the little hummingbird flying and turned to look at it and point it out to Bill when it slammed into my face. Needless to say the hummingbird didn't make it and it set my healing back. But over the weekend we got to watch 2 hummingbirds at my geraniums this time from the safety of my kitchen table. I am hoping for them to come back when I can get the camera out. I don't have any feeders just vampire calibrocha and red geraniums.

I saw my first one on Friday evening, I was very excited. He hasn't come back that I have seen, but hope he will soon. I also hope that he tells all of his friends.

Last week they showed up at the park so sometime next week they should make it down here to my feeders.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back