Hummingbirds

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Maggie

I had my first little hummer yesterday. I was so happy to see him. I've had my feeders out for since march. I don't why they are later arriving in my area than elsewhere in Tn. Oh well at least they're here.

Kya D

No hummers here at our house yet.
I really like them and wish they would show up pretty soon.

richnkim

I have had my feeder out since Feb and I just got some last week. They are a little late for here. I hope you get some soon, Dawn.

DizzyDaff

None here yet. We just got snow again:(, arrrrgh!! so KyaD will prob have some snow by tomorrow. :(

Out little swallows that nest on our porch every year are back in their nest tonight though. ;)

K

Kale

They will be around as soon as the spiders make their webs and insects are available.
I'm getting ready for the feeders but they won't be here for several more weeks (depends on the weather)
Maggie I bet they were there earlier then you saw them. I was puzzled for a while certain feeders were way lower then others but I never saw them. I kept cleaning and filling. Finally one day I saw them nearly went on my friends shoulder, she was standing next to the Honeysuckle that was growing on the entrance fence to my driveway!
We were floored, they are friendly now and fly right up to me and sit there watching me work. May try to get them to feed from my hand this year. I wanted to try last year but lost track of the season, came and went before I knew it I was doing fall cleanup :(

Kale:)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My hummer told me a few eeks ago to get busy and put out my feeders. I was sitting on the deck with my son and this hummer came out of the swamp at high speed right for my face as he got to me he made a quick move to the left around my head then he came from behind and buzzed me again. My son said he never would have believed that if he had not seen it. I told him that was the first of the season and I better go right then and get my feeders ready. It took about 20 minutes to get everything washed and filled and I no sooner hung the feeders than 2 showed up to feed. Wonder if they could possibly have been here last year , it was so unreal the way it played out.

Blueaussi

My neighbor has had a hummingbird at her feeder, but I haven't seen one yet. I moved some potted lantana out there to encourage one to drop by!

richnkim

My hummer told me a few eeks ago to get busy and put out my feeders. I was sitting on the deck with my son and this hummer came out of the swamp at high speed right for my face as he got to me he made a quick move to the left around my head then he came from behind and buzzed me again. My son said he never would have believed that if he had not seen it. I told him that was the first of the season and I better go right then and get my feeders ready. It took about 20 minutes to get everything washed and filled and I no sooner hung the feeders than 2 showed up to feed. Wonder if they could possibly have been here last year , it was so unreal the way it played out.

Oh, CG. How fun for you that must have been! I just love how the zoom by and come back.

Kya D

Thanks Dizzy I got the snow today
Thank heaven there are no hummers here yet cuz it is so cold and stormy

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim,
I was totally blown away that he actually buzzedme. Almost as if to say "where is my feeder?" They have become very friendly since we sit on the deck all the time with them. They don't like us to make sudden moves but they tolrrate us

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Y'all have convinced me, it's time to put out my hummingbird feeders. Bring on the hummers!!!

lisa831

Mom has a couple hummingbirds coming to her feeders,how do you keep the ants from them she has try pam spray on the poles.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hummingbirds have not been around here as much as last year. I go days without seeing them.

Kya D

I forgot to mention that the hummer that nested at the BRS in plain sight last year is back again
She made a little nest on an electrical cord under the porch roof

Maggie

Mom has a couple hummingbirds coming to her feeders,how do you keep the ants from them she has try pam spray on the poles.

I use baby oil on the hangers. I do not put it on the feeding ports. Have never had problems with ants since I started using it years ago.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
The hummers I had all went to my nearest neighbors house. We had several and they just left. Feeders were full and clean not sure why they left.:(

Blueaussi

You can also buy a hanger that has a cup on it that you fill with water. The ants can't get around the water. I bought one at Walmart, and made another one out of a cat food can. Putting a few drops of oil on the water in the cup keeps mosquitoes from breeding in the water.

Jade

I put "Pam" on mine last year too, it worked like a gem. We aren't seeing as many hummers now as we saw last year, but who knows when the 'wee ones' will arrive. We have at least 2 males and a female, but who knows if they are the same ones.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com