I will get che fruit this year!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

EdwinNJ

Che berry. Cudrania Tricuspidata. Related to the mulberry. Here's a description:
http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/PLANT-OF-THE-WEEK-Che-Che-or-Chinese-2585289.php

Planted one a few years back, I actually got it with some sort of fuzzy white fungal disease, but it managed to completely beat that, and this year I have little baby fruits developing! I hadn't seen any flowers, but I never walked to the tree and checked. Oh and this proves edible landscpaing's claim that their variety is male-and-female flowers on same tree.

I'm quite excited to try this obscure fruit that you can't even buy anywhere. Even in China it isn't that common.
Now, if I can only find some large square netting instead of the long strips, to protect the berries from birds and squirrels (like 20' x 20' instead of 4' x 75')

che.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are sweet and have the consistancy of custard!
Flavor is unique, bit of plum/melon, pear.
Tried growing them from seed. The 12 inch seedlings did not survive last winter, I should have gave them more protection from the strong winds and freezing temps.
I will try to grow them again from seeds from several bushes I found in town.
The flowers are white with four petals and look like overly large dogwoods!, bushes grow to around 10 ft!

GardenGem

I have never heard of this plant but it looks interesting so I looked it up. I am in zone 9. Will it survive in this hot zone?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com