Ideas on what to do with Christmas cards

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife knows how to make miniature boxes out of them. She has about a dozen of those under the small Christmas tree we have on the kitchen counter. I don't know how to make them though.

Google origami box directions and you might find some. I have 2, but I didn't make them. I keep guitar picks in one.

You can use clear contact paper and lay the faces of them or portions of them on it with other glitter, feathers, etc., and then put another piece on the back of it and make pretty placemats. If you use pinking shears or a decorative shear you can have different type edges.

One of the local churches collects the front side of cards and remakes the backs and sends them to the troops overseas.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Google origami box directions and you might find some. I have 2, but I didn't make them. I keep guitar picks in one.

You can use clear contact paper and lay the faces of them or portions of them on it with other glitter, feathers, etc., and then put another piece on the back of it and make pretty placemats. If you use pinking shears or a decorative shear you can have different type edges.

One of the local churches collects the front side of cards and remakes the backs and sends them to the troops overseas.
Thanks for the great ideas. I send packages to the troops overseas so I might save them and use them next year to send to the troops.

woodstock

my friend Libby takes and cuts out the things she loves to make new cards for the following yr.....they sure look beautiful......

If you have one that is extra special, you could always mat and frame it. A couple of people at work have done this and they turned out really nice.

there is an ornament that you make with old cards, you cut circles out, and then glue them together and it forms an eight sided ball ornament...they are really cute, and you would have all the card pictures to enjoy for years to come.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is an ornament that you make with old cards, you cut circles out, and then glue them together and it forms an eight sided ball ornament...they are really cute, and you would have all the card pictures to enjoy for years to come.
That's a great idea. Thank you

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scarez and I made some of the boxes with Randy's wife when I was out there last summer. I wonder where I put the boxes.....someplace so they wouldnt get flattened. most be in the china closet
Some great ideas here

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
My mom's friend saves all greeting cards and she made some real pretty place mats using flowers from different cards and scalloped the edges and they looked real nice

Randy's wife taught me how to make those wonderful little boxes out of old Christmas Cards, but YA THINK I CAN REMEMBER HOW??? :confused:

Not a chance
*sigh

Here's a link to Carol Duval's show when she made them. The top is cut slightly bigger than the bottoms, but it's the same cuts and folds. http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/shoebox-paper-boxes/index.html

My neighbor is a scrapbooker and she taught me how to make the round ornaments. She had a punch so they were uniform in size, but I made mine just drawing the circles and carefully cutting them out. Then I figured out where a perfectly symetrical triangle would be in the center of the circle with each point touching an edge. Those are the fold lines. Once you glue or use sticky dots from a craft store to but the wrong sides together of each edge fold you should see how the other's fit to form a top and seperate bottom. Then you put both parts together with glue or dots.

That's probably clear as mud, but I hope that helps.
Another thing you could do is take the cards and clear ornaments. Remove the cap and cut the card to the same diameter as the ornament. Roll it around a pencil, dowel, swizzle stick!, or chopstick and insert it into the ornament and let it unroll inside. You can also drop some glitter or confetti in it for decoration. Then replace the cap.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a link to Carol Duval's show when she made them. The top is cut slightly bigger than the bottoms, but it's the same cuts and folds. http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/shoebox-paper-boxes/index.html

My neighbor is a scrapbooker and she taught me how to make the round ornaments. She had a punch so they were uniform in size, but I made mine just drawing the circles and carefully cutting them out. Then I figured out where a perfectly symetrical triangle would be in the center of the circle with each point touching an edge. Those are the fold lines. Once you glue or use sticky dots from a craft store to but the wrong sides together of each edge fold you should see how the other's fit to form a top and seperate bottom. Then you put both parts together with glue or dots.

That's probably clear as mud, but I hope that helps.
Another thing you could do is take the cards and clear ornaments. Remove the cap and cut the card to the same diameter as the ornament. Roll it around a pencil, dowel, swizzle stick!, or chopstick and insert it into the ornament and let it unroll inside. You can also drop some glitter or confetti in it for decoration. Then replace the cap.

Thanks for the great information.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com