Inducing flowering in melon

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

EdwinNJ

Hi all,
Edwin. Northeast NJ (zone 6?). Raised compost garden bed

This year, among the other obscure vegetables I'm trying, I'm trying this kind of melon called the casabanana. Sicana odorifera.

It's supposed to need a real long season to flower and ripen fruit, it's a tropical, so being in Jersey ain't exactly the best location. However, we do get at least 90 days of real hot weather, so I figure it's worth a try.

One way I figure I could get a head start is by inducing flowering somehow. I've read that for fruit trees, and trees in general, if you graft a flowering branch onto a non-flowering tree, it will actually start flowering because of the flowering hormones in the branch scion. I figure I could at least try something like that.
Either try grafting from a flowering squash or melon plant, or maybe use a syringe and just inject the juices from the stem, because surely the hormones for flowering are in the juices.

I mean there's the obvious application of phosphate to push that flowering/fruiting along, I thought of that, that's obvious. But what about something like this grafting thing?

Or anything like that, I could try.

Thoughts? Ideas on stuff I could do?

I've never tried grafting plants and have only had limited success grafting trees.

they have special grafting scissors that can make the cut clean, and they can even do a few different types of cuts (yup, just the one scissor - I THINK you may have to change the blades that it comes with, but you need only the one scissors)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back