Internet phones

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Jade

What do you all think? We got a Vonage phone when we moved, it is so cheap to call anywhere in the US and Canada. I was paying 25 cents a minute to call the US from Canada. Now I pay 25 bucks a month unlimited time to call the US and Canada. Hubby just got one from another company from work. He told me that it was costing the company 50 Bucks a minute to call me from Europe and Asia...so, that is why he didn't call too often. Now it will be free. Amazing technology.

Tina

My daughter just downloaded skype onto her laptop. It is free and we can talk to our friends in Puerto Rico and New Zealand for free on the net. And see them too. She also has windows live messenger that does the same thing. I was wondering what this would do to things like Vonage? Our technology is really growing and altering our communication for the better.
I don't have a webcam hooked up to my computer so haven't bothered with downloading any of this.

Jade

I have been watching some Oprah lately and she uses Skype, the one thing I don't like is the parts where the communication goes down. Our old neighbors have been using it for years, but I feel like it isn't as clear as the Vonage. Skype can be used just as a phone service. I notice that Vonage is really advertising a lot lately on TV, it is the old phone companies that really will be struggling now and probably kicking themselves for not moving ahead with the times. We have a webcam capability with this laptop, but I don't use it. I move as slow as a snail with advancements, which makes me wonder why my husband ever married me. He had me read a book about thinking forward when we were moving, but I still don't think that I get it. Maybe after 17 moves I am just sick of change and want things to stay the same until I catch up. I thiink that even though he is 10 years older than me, he is a lot younger, ha.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alot of companies here are switching over to Vonage from the regular phone company as they are saving so much money by doing it. It was on the news the other night.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't have skype on my laptop yet but I have it on my computer at home. We have used it for several years now cause my daughter is in england and we couldn't afford to use ATT to talk. We lost ATT and went to cable phone a couple of years ago. We like that too. but use the Skype to call the kids in England. We also use Gmail chat to keep in contact.

Jade

I like the new technology, except when it goes down and I have to figure out how to reset everything, but I am getting it, slowly but surely. I have to wonder how the phone companies will survive.

I've had vonage for a little over 2 years and am very happy with it. Also have a cell phone, been thinking of getting rid of vonage and just using my cell to save $320 a year.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
I thought I would add my two cents on the magicjack that hooks to your computer for $19.95 a year...it is a god price...yes...and you can pick any area code you want....you can call over the world with it ....but we have to keep the computer on 24/7 to get calls...and it cuts off with out warning at times...not a real good connection either...

With the Vonage, do you have to have your computer on for it to work? We did just get a land line as my cell mins were getting used up way to fast...it amazes me how fas 700 mins go ...

On the Skype...is it free to download ?

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes skype is a free download. We use it to call our daughter in London but we email first to tell her we are going to call cause no one leaves skype on all of the time. at least not in our family. I have a cell and cable phone but this is our way to call overseas. It seems to work fairly well for us. For a fee and I have not looked into this you can call a phone number. My daughter does this but I have no idea how much it costs. I only use the free part.

I remember more years ago than I care to admit to, there was a free program "Speak Freely" that you could download and use over a dial up line. It worked a little bit more like a ham or cb radio in that you couldn't talk over each other, one person had to stop before the other could speak. It was free and fun, though, and I talked to folks all over the world with that little program.

I have a cell phone and a land line now, and I will probably keep the land line as long as my mother is alive as she doesn't want to have to learn yet another way to get in touch with me.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com